Sthil MS 462 C-M Forestry Chainsaw

Alycidon

Following my issues with the 560 I am looking for a new saw,  ideally a bit more power full that the 560 to run a 20inch or more chain.

In short does anyone have anything bad to say about the above,  done a search and cant find much but its predecessor the 461 and 460 models seemed well liked.

Thanks in advance,

A

461 is a cracking saw, and the little I have used the 462 it its a noticeable improvement.  Everyone feared the 461 would be a let down after the 460, but it wasn't.  I have no reason to think the 462 won't be massive success also.  I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I were in the market for a saw

i will go with steve on this got both 460 & 461 both fantastic saws run both on 20" bars, there does not seem to be much between them if anything the older 460 has the edge as it screems but that may of been tweeked at some point in its life, the new 462 has some very good reviews on youtube and people speak highly of it, go for it but are they out on the uk yet.

Cracking saw, only used it for an afternoon so can’t speak for its longevity though. I’m always wary of buying a new model saw, I’d rather wait until the faults have been ironed out... personally I’d buy a 461 and when the warranty is up send it to spud for a tickle!

Have had a couple of 460s and have a 461 both good saws athough the air filter has always been a bit wanting when it comes to fines getting in ! nothing a smear of grease wont help. The AV is not as good as a sprung  saw but that comes down to much you are using it ? A pal ( hotsaws101 youtube) has just run a 462 against a 440 after a bit of porting work and the 440 showed the 462 who's the boss if that tells us anything ... Again if it tells us anything no 462 at the WLC last week but a couple of 500i. You would be hard pushed to beat a 461 if you are going Stihl.

A 20" bar on a 461 is a waste. It'll happily run 25-30" bar all day.
Great saw.
I'm considering swapping from 3/8 to .325 to increase cutting speed.
It is a bit heavy lugging it round the woods all day though.
Is 20" the most you'll need?
If so, I'd probably get a 261 and send it to spud.
My stock 261 will pull 18" buried in oak all day.
Porting should allow 20" easily.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Occasionally I get wind blown Ash of large proportions so was thinking of a 20/22 inch for normal use and a 25 inch for any oversize stuff.    Some dealers such as Farol and Honey Bros are advertising 462s but I suppose having stock is something else entirely.  

Looks like its a runner if available,  or 461 if not, thanks for your input.

A

A

462 is just a little heavier than the 560 ive only used it felling oak, chestnut and ash so cant say what it is like in softwoods, runs a 20" fine never had chance to put a 25 on to see how it responds. does seem a bit fragile around the back handle area and the switch is backwards compared to the husky 560.