What is wrong with this apple tree?

Roberto Stockley

Hello All,

I am new to this forum but after seeing a problem with an apple tree I own I found this forum with the hope that someone might be able to help.

I don't want to ramble on but Im not sure what information would be important so I will try to keep it concise.

I planted four cider apple trees in December 2016 which had been moved from a orchard that was no longer wanted. 

Im not sure of the age of the trees but the trunks at the thickest part are around 4-6 inches and the trees are around 12 foot tall.

The other three apple trees have settled well but from the beginning this one hasn't.

In comparison to the other apple trees the leaves are paler, smaller and curling, as you can see in the photos.

The leaves are also not growing on some branches and I believe these branches are now dead, also shown in the photos.

The only apple it has grown in the two years I have had it can be seen in the photo.

Because the other apple trees are doing well and the conditions seem good (plenty of sun, good sandy loam soil, and well watered in the first year) Im thinking it may be something to do with the trunk. This is shown in the photos. When I first got the tree I did notice white fluffy stuff where the bark had come off and only recently more of the bark at the base of the trunk has fallen off.

If anyone can help me identify what is wrong and knows anything I can do to restore the trees health that would be appreciated.

Even if its too late to save it then at least I can act upon that.

Thanks,

Rob

DSC05408.JPG

DSC05409.JPG

DSC05410.JPG

DSC05411.JPG

DSC05412.JPG

DSC05413.JPG

DSC05491.JPG

Looks like strimmer damage to me, well done for moving unwanted apple trees to where they are wanted and it’s good that 3 of the 4 have done well. All you can do is give that tree some time to recover, mulch around the base of it, plenty of water, maybe a bit of a feed and see how it does next year

If it is not simply a result of physical injury from when it was moved it is likely to be either collar rot or crown rot (I get the two mixed up). Either way there isn't really a cure, especially with a tree as far down the line as yours is.

My advice would be to grub it out as it is never going to get better and there is a good chance it could infect the others.

The leafless twigs are probably canker, possibly mildew. Not related to the trunk damage other than a sick tree becomes prone to various other diseases.

Okay, so if the trunk damage is just a physical injury and not a disease I am wondering if it is still worth keeping. Will it heal over or always be a weak/ debilitating problem?

Of course I would rather keep the tree but I will be planting some more apple trees from the unwanted orchard this winter, so although it would be a lot of hassle I could replace it with another apple tree. 

Edwards reply was spot on. Transplanting larger trees without  a lot of preparation over a long period of time usually results in poor results, so 3 out of four is excellent. 

I think that the crown symptoms are more a result of transplanting them the stem damage, so improving the rooting environment would help to improve that. Then, if the tree has increased vigour it can adapt to deal with the stem damage better. If it puts on good annual incremental growth, around the stem, the ratio of dead cambium/dead phloem & xylem  to living will alter for the better. 

If it's a decent tree with a good structural form, apart from the problems identified, I'd give it a chance.

Oh, and everything that Edward suggested would also benefit all the other trees. If you're mulching with wood chip, try to get cherry or hawthorn - the sugar content encourages mycorrhizal fungi that create an important symbiotic relationship that helps trees.

• Like 1

I think you can keep it alive but I don't think it will be a productive tree. Which was most important to you?

There is a lot of bark missing at ground level which will allow rots in if not already. How long would you expect any wood to last in those conditions?

I still strongly suspect crown rot. http://apples.ahdb.org.uk/Crown-Rot-and-Collar-Rot.asp