560XP hot start

Alycidon

I have a 560XP,   about 4 years old,  ( New Apr 14),  done about 250 hours.

Had an issue recently with hot start, a 2 minute break to refuel was fine but a ten minute break to change a chain and it would not start untill cool.

Taken it into my local dealer who supplied it.  They advise two small holes in the crankcase,  this had allowed air to be drawn into the crankcase and has scuffed the piston,   so new crankcase, piston etc and 4 hours labour to re build.   Cost more than a new saw,

Has anyone else had this issue,   do not feel like buying another Husky given that the engine also seized soon after buying as the dealer had sold be Sthil 2 stroke mix to go with it,  should be synthetic mix.

Suggestions please,  especially from Stubby ( ?) the guy that ports saws,

Thanks

A

Sounds like you need a new dealer, not a new saw
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, el barto said:

Interesting. So how come they're ok for Stihl saws? Sorry to hijack this thread!

Stihl do make synthetic 2T oil but I think that OP was given their mineral based oil .  OK for older saws that don't rev so high and generate so much heat .  

I would like to know where the "small holes" in the cases came from. It is usually from a big end, piston or bearing letting loose and the crank punching holes in the cases as it hits the debris. I would normally use a high performance epoxy to fill them if the damage is small and pressure/vacuum check to prove the saw is sealed.

I have no idea on cost as I have no idea on the overall condition of the saw but it will need a new piston, I would hope the cylinder may be salvageable and would hope the bottom end is as well but wouldn't like to commit to an overall price without knowing what the saw has done!

• Like 1

Husky did a short block for around £200 (crank cases and crank ) from memory, change it over your self .... I put all my bolts on a bit of card and labelled them , took a load of photos was pretty easy to swap over , I’ve done a couple of 560’s like this now.

9 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Husky did a short block for around £200 (crank cases and crank ) from memory, change it over your self .... I put all my bolts on a bit of card and labelled them , took a load of photos was pretty easy to swap over , I’ve done a couple of 560’s like this now.

Make sure its not one of the early ones with one less crank case bolt than the newer ones , but yes , what Matty said ! 

46 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I would like to know where the "small holes" in the cases came from. It is usually from a big end, piston or bearing letting loose and the crank punching holes in the cases as it hits the debris. I would normally use a high performance epoxy to fill them if the damage is small and pressure/vacuum check to prove the saw is sealed.

I have no idea on cost as I have no idea on the overall condition of the saw but it will need a new piston, I would hope the cylinder may be salvageable and would hope the bottom end is as well but wouldn't like to commit to an overall price without knowing what the saw has done!

Thats fair enough,   teh saw went in as it would not start having been stood for 10 mins for a chain change.  Cold starts fine, as it did when having a 2 minute stop for fuel and bar oil.    At present we are talking to Husky via Twitter,  so public.  While its out of warranty its sold as a pro forestry saw designed for continuous use.  Given those conditions it would have done the work its taken me four years to do in a couple of months, about 250 hours.       Assuming Husky wont play ball re engine rebuild then I propose to send it to you as it is,  ie stripped out.  Then you can see whats what.  

A

35 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Make sure its not one of the early ones with one less crank case bolt than the newer ones , but yes , what Matty said ! 

I bought it new in early 2014,  it was running Ok when it went in,  just hot start issues.

A

We’ve not had any problems with 560s was just the 550s, 2 cranks on the same day (saws about 5 months age difference both used continuously f felling 60/70year old trees)
Husqvarna were very good n were still compensating our dealer for continuing problems 3years later!
Sounds like your dealer doesn’t want to put the time in hassling them?

• Like 1