Idea For A New Gadget

Haironyourchest

I was aloft today, and needed various items passed up via accessory cord. I don't like to use the tail of my climbing line as I climb SRT and most of the line stays in a sports bag on the ground, zippered nearly all the way, so if pays out only as much as I need, going up, and keeps debris out of the bag, tidy etc. The problem with the hank of accessory cord is I have to mind it, coil it, and stop it getting caught on things. I would like a gadget that is essentially a reel of throwline, with a handle to wind it up and a progress capture feature, like a fly fishing reel. One could attach a throwbag and disengage the progress capture, the bag would fall the the ground, groundie attaches whatever, and then you just reel it in, with a crank handle. If you let go of the handle, it holds the load. This would keep the line nice and tidy, only deployed when you need it, etc. I suppose I could just get a fishing reel...but fishing reels are open design, I'm looking for something fully enclosed, like a chalk line reel. (actually maybe that would do). Anyway, does anything like this exist, and if not, would there be a market for it?

On light stuff it’ll be harder work cranking rather than just pulling it up as normal.

The size crank needed to pull up a 660 would be prohibitive (I would have thought!)

If I’m pulling up a big saw and need a rest I’ll place the rope over the top of the stump (assuming I’m ringing down) 

• Like 1

All good ideas, thanks. Steve, fly fishing reels are different (maybe?) the rotation is in line with the crank. I have a surveyor tape, and thought of that. Could just wave the tape in, it's strong, but the handle is very small. For bigger weights, I'd need a serious folding handle. I may end up building something.

3 hours ago, Husqvarna King said:

In the Gerry Berenek DVDs he made one from a builders chalk line with a winder, looked great. He had it clipped to harness to advance his climb line ?

Like that, gonna do it, as I have a spare chalkline! Are the DVDs worth it? Can they be got in the UK? I read his book, would like to get the video series at some stage.

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Like that, gonna do it, as I have a spare chalkline! Are the DVDs worth it? Can they be got in the UK? I read his book, would like to get the video series at some stage.

I was going to copy the chalk line idea... Still haven't got round to it. Yes I thought the cutting and rigging dvd was best but have climbing also which is useful, bit depressing seeing how good he is with a throwback though ?. Wife bought as presents from Wes spur I think.