Chipper major mechanical failure, warrant???

sihart100

5 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Further my earlier post - I haven't sent a PM to Si, he has had discussions with his supplying dealer and GreenMech so there is nothing that I can add other than my best wishes.

The damage was assessed earlier today and it may appear that a cold weld allowed a 3mm piece of sheet steel to come adrift and snag on the inner wall of the chip chamber. A dramatic failure then occurred but was, by and large, contained within the structure. After consulting with Si, we have agreed that under our 'no quibble' warranty, we will take this back into the factory and it will be rebuilt with a new chip chamber fabrication, flywheel, shear bars and anything else that has suffered as a result. Effectively, Si will have a new chipper assembly to replace his. A loan unit was offered but is not needed at the moment.

We would hope to effect the repair in a short period of time and can only thank Global Sales for working with us and to Simon and his team in their forbearance and understanding.

Cheers pete... Actually Rod & Dan from global sorted me with a chipper within 1 hour of this happening so cant fault Global at all they've gone out there way to keep up running...

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Andy the biker was my favourite Greenmech dealer, good show but what's a cold weld?

A cold weld is basically where a weld has failed or come 'unstuck' due to incorrect heat in the weld that hasn't allowed the molten components of the steels to become one! It may look okay and indeed, may last. In a critical job, the weld may be xrayed or sprayed with chemicals to detect for faulty welds. In this instance, something caused a 3mm plate to become detached and then jam and there was signs of corrosion were two plates meet and that could have been cold weld. So will put it right under our "no quibble" warranty. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

The damage was assessed earlier today and it may appear that a cold weld allowed a 3mm piece of sheet steel to come adrift and snag on the inner wall of the chip chamber. A dramatic failure then occurred but was, by and large, contained within the structure. After consulting with Si, we have agreed that under our 'no quibble' warranty, we will take this back into the factory and it will be rebuilt with a new chip chamber fabrication, flywheel, shear bars and anything else that has suffered as a result. Effectively, Si will have a new chipper assembly to replace his. A loan unit was offered but is not needed at the moment.

We would hope to effect the repair in a short period of time and can only thank Global Sales for working with us and to Simon and his team in their forbearance and understanding.

7 hours ago, sihart100 said:

Cheers pete... Actually Rod & Dan from global sorted me with a chipper within 1 hour of this happening so cant fault Global at all they've gone out there way to keep up running...

7 hours ago, PeteB said:

So will put it right under our "no quibble" warranty. 

Accepting that mechanical things go wrong/will go wrong, you can't get any better than this! No downtime for the owner and the machine is getting sorted without a load of fuss.

What a great outcome. Well done GM :thumbup:

• Like 7

A major factor in my fidelity to Greenmech is the level of customer service.

I've no doubt social media has it's part to play too in diffusing negative and positive news but if you have ever tried to take back even a simple household item to a French store over a fault then you'd appreciate that GM are quite "remarquable' in their approach to after sale service.

Stuart

• Like 1