Stump grinder - can it hit pipes etc?

Squaredy

Question

I have a couple of tree surgeons coming to my house tomorrow to remove my lovely Apple Tree :( and a few metres of Privet Hedge as they have helped to cause subsidence to my house :(  and I have had to make an insurance claim.  Should I warn them that there are water and gas pipes and electricity cables buried somewhere underneath the tree and hedge or will they automatically check before they fire up the stump grinder?

Bear in mind I have no way of knowing how far down the pipes and cables are, and hopefully they are too deep, but who knows....?

The sad thing is that there is a large possibility it is not even the tree to blame.. Ime trees regularly removed without any evidence of being the cause..

Thats what I was thinking

Would an apple tree cause subsidence unless its giant one right next to house or something.....

How will they avoid pipes not knowing were they could be metal dectector?

This thread needs pics

Edited by Stere

3 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I would certainly speak to someone from the tree firm via text or phone call. If you leave a message it may get missed no matter how obvious it is. If you actually speak to them then they know. However I’m aware that they have probably already come and gone by now.

Thank you for your reply.  Yes the job is done now.  After all that they turned up without the promised stump grinder, so it was not an issue!  So I guess I will remove the remaining stump using old fashioned methods, or maybe just leave it to rot.

13 hours ago, Stere said:

Would an apple tree cause subsidence unless its giant one right next to house or something.....

This thread needs pics

Well to be fair the subsidence is mainly caused by the extreme dry weather and shrinking clay soil.  But the point is I guess that even a small tree near the house is making the drying worse.  As the house has indeed started to subside right next to the tree I think there was really no choice but to give it the chop....sadly.  The distance from house to apple tree was around 1.5 metres.

And yes I agree photos would be good.  So here they are.....to be fair not that exciting, but showing the apple tree and privet hedge before and after removal.1101168625_appletreebefore.thumb.jpg.321c1c6421a161b13fef98019f7840d8.jpg742586915_appletreeafter.thumb.jpg.34f2a9a4a4c630e3bbd418cd6263f418.jpg

13 hours ago, Stere said:

This thread needs pics

13 hours ago, skc101fc said:
On 13/08/2018 at 21:23, Squaredy said:
Well the water pipe is lead, not sure about the gas pipe...

A section of stump ground lead pipe will be just the excuse you need to get rid of it altogether and replace with modern safe alternative. Surprised that wasn't job no.1

Ha, yes I did think about that, but to be honest the lead pipe doesn't worry me.  We have hard water, and always run off some water in the morning or if the house has been unoccupied for a few days.

2 minutes ago, Stere said:

Not being eating thoose apples don't they taste good? ?

Yea they are tasty apples....Discovery.  The bugs thought they were good too of course.  

Will have to plant a new apple tree, but a bit further from the house this time.