freelancers - driving time.

Dilz

Just wondering what people think about a) being a freelance climbers  / subby etc  or b) hiring freelancers / subbies and charging /paying driving times and mileage? 

There are times when doing both where I have only charged or paid for time on site.  

There are times when doing both I have charged or offered a lower rate of pay per hour or distance for driving.

There are times when doing both I have charged or paid full rate for driving, both hourly plus a mileage fee. (this is my favorite to get paid but least favorite to pay if I'm honest about it)  

The clock sometimes starts from when I and whatever crew leave my yard or if needed from the yard of whatever company I'm working for, I dont charge time and mileage for getting to another yard but i start the clock as soon as i get there. 

Day rate / job rate is agreed upon with no additional mileage or driving charges asked for or given - though now for me most stuff is done on an hourly basis. 

Just wondering what people think about a) being a freelance climbers  / subby etc  or b) hiring freelancers / subbies and charging /paying driving times and mileage? 

There are times when doing both where I have only charged or paid for time on site.  
There are times when doing both I have charged or offered a lower rate of pay per hour or distance for driving.
There are times when doing both I have charged or paid full rate for driving, both hourly plus a mileage fee. (this is my favorite to get paid but least favorite to pay if I'm honest about it)  
 The clock sometimes starts from when I and whatever crew leave my yard or if needed from the yard of whatever company I'm working for, I dont charge time and mileage for getting to another yard but i start the clock as soon as i get there. 
Day rate / job rate is agreed upon with no additional mileage or driving charges asked for or given - though now for me most stuff is done on an hourly basis. 

I have been a subby climber for the last 15 years through the years I have experienced all different types of company's and bosses In the beginning I was happy and greatfull for the work and travelled not as far as I do these days but often up to 50 miles never charging extra and been on allot less money than I charge now 15 years later I am on twice the day rate I was and probably travel twice if not three times the distance sometimes I also have to go to Europe and stay away in the UK to this is all because as your day rate goes up and your skill set is more and more fine tuned you can't work on your door step for the money you deserve there just isn't enough work to suite your skills and price answer to your question i charge enough that the distance isn't a issue it's not per mile or hrs driven
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

I have been a subby climber for the last 15 years through the years I have experienced all different types of company's and bosses In the beginning I was happy and greatfull for the work and travelled not as far as I do these days but often up to 50 miles never charging extra and been on allot less money than I charge now 15 years later I am on twice the day rate I was and probably travel twice if not three times the distance sometimes I also have to go to Europe and stay away in the UK to this is all because as your day rate goes up and your skill set is more and more fine tuned you can't work on your door step for the money you deserve there just isn't enough work to suite your skills and price answer to your question i charge enough that the distance isn't a issue it's not per mile or hrs driven

I think most people charge a lot more money than they did 15 years ago - I know i did - i earn the same in 1hr as i did in a day when i first started dragging - just over 15 years ago... actually...  

I understand that its different for different situations - its kind of how I work - I live in Sweden so drives can be very long - so, for example, a very well paid gig that was 500 miles away - the agreement was a minimum number of days to make it worth the while.  Another gig that was for  a few months work but a 12 hour drive away was a two way fee to cover fuel and coffees and food for the trip, but any extra trips home I paid for out of my own pocket. Short stints at distance have been full expenses plus extra for my time. 

But more local work is different - when on my own jobs i factor in payment for fuel and travel time - but often when subbing i don't know where I'm going to be from day to day, and it's pretty easy to rack up over 100 miles in a day. 

I think any subbies day rate should factor in traveling time and cost, if it doesn't then they need to 're think what they are charging to include it. No point in complicating it with added time and mileage cost on top of day rate, just adjust day rate accordingly

• Like 2

Just now, Coletti said:

I think any subbies day rate should factor in traveling time and cost, if it doesn't then they need to 're think what they are charging to include it. No point in complicating it with added time and mileage cost on top of day rate, just adjust day rate accordingly

I agree - if its a day rate - but what about hourly agreements? 

6 minutes ago, Dilz said:

does this include driving inbetween sites on multiple job days? 

I'm not quite sure what you mean. My milage is £1/mile from my base, if I'm lucky enough to get another job in the same area I'm quids in. I'm not like some of you lads that can give a price on a job, I can only say what my travel and hourly rate is, unless it's planed work.

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean. My milage is £1/mile from my base, if I'm lucky enough to get another job in the same area I'm quids in. I'm not like some of you lads that can give a price on a job, I can only say what my travel and hourly rate is, unless it's planed work.

I asking more about when working as a freelancer/subby to another company vs pricing your own jobs. 

2 minutes ago, Dilz said:

I asking more about when working as a freelancer/subby to another company vs pricing your own jobs. 

I price it into the job when freelancing. I'm too cheap (on travel) for one company I do some work for, but they pass other work my way. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1