freelancers - driving time.

Dilz

Depending on the type of contract you have with companies and the status of your business, you can claim milage as an expense from HMRC.

I'd recommend getting a decent accountant. For just over a quid a day you don't have to worry about what you could/should be claiming.

Edited by Mark J

21 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Hourly rate ????
Suicide financially.
emoji51.png

Nah not really - pros and cons - when subbing quite a few jobs i get put on are charged hourly to the customer  ( usually city clients or fussy garden owners - Charging hourly came about from being on a day rate when the employees were by the hour - I was trying to smash through work and go home and they wanted long days - after a couple of weeks  of roundabouts and no swings (10-12hr days no flyers) it just wasnt going to work as my daay rate was based on an average of 8hrs - so i switched to charging hourly. ( and i aint that cheap so financially im pretty sound)

This company gives me heaps of work,  and its only rare when i get anything less than 6 hours paid for the day - Yeah sure the odd dropped hour adds up but if so do the odd extra hours... though i miss the lets get this done vibe home by lunch with the money in the bank - but as a result - with that company - accidents and breakages are pretty rare and usually due to noobs rather than rushing, and its usually relaxed working with the crew.  

I've been a subby for 3 years now and just charge each company an individual day rate as there are a few variables: i factor in the hours i'll be working there, distance travelled and the kit I'm required to use and how regularly they can guarantee me work. This varies alot. I travel up to 45 mins without thinking about adding cost for travel. Most people that work have to travel to work and get paid nothing for it. It's finding a balance between getting paid fairly and not pricing yourself out of work.