Cleanable inline fuel filter advise needed

Woodworks

I run a firewood processor with a Honda GX390 engine on it. The snag I get is dust dust gets into the fuel tank and blocks the filter. The filter is screwed into the bottom of the tanks so to clean it I have to remove the tank. Not a big deal but it takes time and this has needed doing a lot in the dry weather this summer. Instead of the filter in the bottom of the tank is there any problem with fitting and inline filter and can you get cleanable ones? All the fuel get filtered when being poured in so I think it is just dust getting sucked in through filler cap.

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I run a firewood processor with a Honda GX390 engine on it. The snag I get is dust dust gets into the fuel tank and blocks the filter. The filter is screwed into the bottom of the tanks so to clean it I have to remove the tank. Not a big deal but it takes time and this has needed doing a lot in the dry weather this summer. Instead of the filter in the bottom of the tank is there any problem with fitting and inline filter and can you get cleanable ones? All the fuel get filtered when being poured in so I think it is just dust getting sucked in through filler cap.

Have you got the plastic mesh cylinder strainer sitting in the tank filler inlet like in the image?

Do you brush off the fuel tank before filling?

I think prevention is better than cure - you need to keep all contaminates out of the fuel.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by arboriculturist

2 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Have you got the plastic mesh cylinder strainer sitting in the tank filler inlet like in the image?

Do you brush off the fuel tank before filling?

I think prevention is better than cure - you need to keep all contaminates out of the fuel.

s-l1600.jpg

No it didn't come with that filter just the one on the far left. Yes tank is always cleaned and the funnel used has a fine filter. Only had a major problem in the dry hot weather so I guess air born dust is sucked in through the filler cap (presume it lets air in to avoid a vacuum). 

14 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

No it didn't come with that filter just the one on the far left. Yes tank is always cleaned and the funnel used has a fine filter. Only had a major problem in the dry hot weather so I guess air born dust is sucked in through the filler cap (presume it lets air in to avoid a vacuum). 

You can buy the plastic mesh cylinder strainer for a 390 online.

If its a good fit in the tank it would prevent most of the debris reaching the fuel. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I think you're right. I've noticed the inline fuel filter on my chipper picking up more during the dry spell.

You can get cleanable inline filters. But, the ones I've seen are metal cartridges, and you can't see when they need cleaning. I use the disposable type. You can buy 10 for about £12 on web. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

You can buy the plastic mesh cylinder strainer for a 390 online.

If its a good fit in the tank it would prevent most of the debris reaching the fuel. ?

So are they very fine? The stuff I have to clean out is just fine dust. 

Edited by Woodworks

They seem to vary. If you ordered one and the mesh was too coarse I would simply line it with stainless or brass sheet mesh -  40 micron is ideal as this will trap any water in the fuel also. 

Plenty of adhesives in small tubes available online for use in petrol.

Effectively you have the perfect filter, which would take an age to block due to its size and easily cleanable.