gobbypunk

Hi guys I have been asked to quote for carving a bear out of some redwood it’s about 17/20ft tall I haven’t done anything that big before I was thinking £2500/3000 would you say that is about right , as always I appreciate your answers

Cheers Mark 

• Like 1

Hi guys I have been asked to quote for carving a bear out of some redwood it’s about 17/20ft tall I haven’t done anything that big before I was thinking £2500/3000 would you say that is about right , as always I appreciate your answers
Cheers Mark 
A customer of mine had a quote for a bear in red wood same size last week.
The quote was £4000.IMG-20180708-WA0002.jpeg

Hi , I have total freedom to do whatever sat down , standing up , with cubs all up to me and the butt will get delivered to my yard , I was thinking if I do a laying down or on all 4 legs it would be a lot easier to move , standing on hind legs a crane or slew to move it but all fours just a tractor . Thanks Mark 

• Like 1

You’ve not said how big the bear is going to be., or how long it will take you.
I did this one in two days but stupidly didn’t account for cleanup ( I normally don’t clear up unless I have to). Needless to say I took a hit on the job and learned a valuable lesson lol.IMG_3686.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wisewood said:

You’ve not said how big the bear is going to be., or how long it will take you.
I did this one in two days but stupidly didn’t account for cleanup ( I normally don’t clear up unless I have to). Needless to say I took a hit on the job and learned a valuable lesson lol.IMG_3686.jpg

That's fantastic, nicely done!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/08/2018 at 09:45, gobbypunk said:

Cheers Mark 

Hi Mark, I've just finished a couple of large carvings at 6m and 4m tall. Like you I had never carved anything like that size before and learnt a few useful lessons...1) Don't underestimate the surface area that needs to be carved/removed on a wide and tall log, it can get relentless and very tiring. 2) Don't get bogged down in small details which won't be seen, scale everything up 3 or 4 times. 3) Nails or other objects usually found within seconds of putting a new chain on, one tree had buried electrical insulators! 4) Huge quantities of sawdust and offcuts - it took a day to clear up after the dragon wizard carving.  The dragon carving was £3000 plus scaffolding and the fairy, done in 5 days was £1500.  I indulged myself a bit with the dragon wizard, adding extra carvings because I wanted a great showcase for my work.  Good luck, Tony

DSCF1770.JPG

DSCF1710.JPG

DSCF1913.JPG