The Sheraton 5 Stove - Will It Put Stovax Back On the Map

Sorry pal, that looks bloody awful [emoji37]?? (just my opinion [emoji51]) too modern looking for me. Looks very shallow in its body for breathing and operating if you look at the door line ?‍♂️ but hey, the proof will be in the burning and if people like the look of it then it may well be good for Stovax like you suggest. I’m happy with my stockton [emoji106]

I actually like the simplicity of the Sheraton.  I can't see a problem with the lack of depth unless you want to burn lumps rather than logs.

How does a 21st century burner that can take a 21" log put out only a (rated) 5kW?  We have a very middle market 5kW New Zealand built burner (~15 years old) that struggles to accept a 15" log.

• Like 1

Ask women,   they always have the final word.   But it will be a good stove that bests the Ecoburn 5 widescreen.

How does a 21st century burner that can take a 21" log put out only a (rated) 5kW?  We have a very middle market 5kW New Zealand built burner (~15 years old) that struggles to accept a 15" lo

Nepia.   All stoves in the UK have to be CE tested and approved,  this is a Europe wide quality test where stoves have to achieve certain emissions and efficiency targets.  The issue is the stove manufacturer usually ( always)  supplies the fuel to be burnt on test and specifies how many bit are to be loaded at a time.    

So an average size bit of Ash,  250mm long, wedge shape, about 150mm at the wide end,  nice and dry will have about 1.5kw of energy within it.   So load three into a firebox and you get 4.5 kw out irrespective of the firebox size.  Currently the building regs advise no air vent required for properties built pre 2008 at 5.0kw or below.   

Customers are increasingly looking for bigger and bigger glass areas without wanting the drafts from remote air vents,  so some manufacturers give customers what they want,  typically a 7kw - 9kw stove rated at 5.0 kw nominally.    Respectable retailers now have a responsibility to ensure that gullible customers do not fall into the trap and buy a stove that is far to powerful for the room its going into.  Usually I talk to the wife and tell her that if she allows her man a particular stove she will be spending the winter in her swim suit, that pretty well always ensures they buy an appropriate stove for their room.  The problem is that on line retailers dont by and large have any verbal conversations with the buyer to assertion suitability.

I am not a Stovax dealer but I thought they had the largest UK market share as they were,  personally I do like their new Sheraton and Vouge ranges but its not me thats buying them.   It also depends on what price level they have set for them, looks like the 5kw standard width Sheraton is going to be around £1100,  thats at the top of the sector price wise and around £200 dearer than similar models from Arada ( ECB5) and Morso ( 04) so its a uphill battle for them.  I assume they are made in Poland or similar,  nothing wrong with that if the material spec is right but they do give the impression of being a British brand when that is not quite the case.  Based in Britain certainly but owned by NIBE, a very large Swedish conglomerate many of whomes stoves come from Eastern Europe,  but I dont think many Stovax brand stoves are built in the UK these days but I do stand to be corrected.       But at least they are moving forward unlike some manufacturers particularly at the high end who are making little effort to update their model range and make them more saleable.  

I told one rep last week that his companies lack of effort to comply with the proposed Ecodesign 2022 requirements will cost him 5 - 10 stoves in my showroom this winter.  The public are aware of these requirements and are wanting to buy Ecodesign ready products,

Time will tell on Stovax,

A

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 10:30, Ratman said:

Sorry pal, that looks bloody awful emoji37.png?? (just my opinion emoji51.png) too modern looking for me. Looks very shallow in its body for breathing and operating if you look at the door line ?‍♂️ but hey, the proof will be in the burning and if people like the look of it then it may well be good for Stovax like you suggest. I’m happy with my stockton emoji106.png

Thats were we differ . I like the modern looking stove with the big glass are ratio . I have the Burley that is minimal in clutter and a big flame window in relative terms .

30 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I’m just a little old fashioned i suppose stubby, i like a bit of curvature here and there emoji6.png not all straight lines and all that. I do prefer a single door too.

Yes . Single door for me too . Double glazed as well on the Burley .

• Like 1