Working for the Commission for the first time

How long do helmets stay in date is there sticker someone like food best before?

There will be a date stamp inside the helmet somewhere.
I think most helmets are 5 years, petzl say 10 years, but I know some who change their helmets every 2-3 years.
If it gets dropped or suffers an impact it should be binned...
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stere said:

How long do helmets stay in date is there sticker someone like food best before?

hi helmets are 5 years from date of manufacture and not purchase date, and inside the helmet there will be a  clock face with an arrow pointing to the relivant number so lets say arrow is pointing to 10 on the outside and then another number with in the clock face and lets say that number is 14 so helmet was made oct 2014, a tip for you all when buying a helmet either look for date or ask about it , 2 lads who have worked with me over the years have been and bought a new helmet and 1 was nearly 2 years old and another 2 1/2 years old  so life span only half but still paid full price, and these helmets are tougher than you think as ran over 1 of mine with tractor and i was amazed at the amount of damage i did which was very little ,

• Like 2

In addition to all the above:

Get a spill kit for the machine - keep one in the forwarder and bungee / ratchet strap one to the processor.  Could do the same with first aid kits, a bit larger than a personal kit.  Keep a site diary, note any problems, discussions with your cutters, etc - the FC just love paperwork.  Wear gloves!  They like the FISA Guide box ticking done too.

Edited by Spruce Pirate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, buffalo606 said:

Think Petal Vertex are good for 10 years from date of manufacture - I only know because I looked it up the day before we started on a FC site.

petzal vertex and most petzal helmets will be climbing helmets with no peak on them so not for forestry work, unlike a stihl or husky ground helmet that has a peak and that peak is there for a reason on a forestry helmet, and lets face it if i or any one was working for someone like the FC for the first time surely you would want every thing right, lads turning up with wrong kit for the job is a big no no for me, sorry.

5 years for most helmets.
The UV degrades the structure.
Ground helmets are designed to come off in event of an impact.
That's why no chin strap.
Climbing helmets won't fall off, potentially making the impact worse.

How's the phone signal in the forest?
Will you need a gps phone?

[emoji106]

Like Pirate says “FC love paperwork”. Providing you don’t do anything blatantly daft (getting caught domino’ing trees) you’ll be ok. There are very few that are experienced in contracting working for FC. They’re more interested in checking safety gear and tickets