Working for the Commission for the first time

On Monday we start on a new site working for the Forestry Commission for the first time. 

I appreciate that they are very particular about health and safety compliance, as well as correct procedure. 

Can anyone share their experiences getting started with the Commission and any teething issues they might have had? Up to this point everything has been quite straightforward and easy, but I want to make sure that I'm starting on the right footing. 

I have:

• 2 cutters, fully qualified, full PPE, fully insured under my insurances
  • All relevant signage
  • Risk assessments
  • Method statement
  • My qualifications (I'm actually doing my forwarder assessment on the morning we get started!) and insurances and all relevant PPE
  • Spill kit, major first aid kit

Can anyone add to that? 

Any help much appreciated.

A brain locker, for all staff to put their brains in, before entering the site, in case they should indulge in any potentially hazardous "thinking", instead of blindly following the "rules".

Said rules generally written by a learned senior management type that has never actually been "hands on".

This concept was explained to me 40 odd year ago, by a bloke that had spent some time with a NI Government agency.

I found it to be true during my Local Government Supervisor duties too.

Though the FC may well be different.

Anyway, best wishs for your new venture,

regards

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

I've only worked for the NI part of the FC and found them decent and easy to work for. I always take the approach when working for a new area harvest manager impress on them that you and your team are there to work with them not against them and that you will ask if you come across a problem and not just "assume" it was ok to proceed. 

Make sure all the gear is correct i.e. upto date first aid kits and fire ex etc Silly things like that broken step on the forwarder and the likes of a missing chain catcher is always a bad start, you know the things that are 5 min jobs but just seem to become invisable !

• Like 2

From wot i was hearing last nighr and recently they brain locker will be the most important thing.

Seems to be used by all the head bosses to do with FCS, who are no longer forestry based but ran by those numpties at Holyrood.

A complete joke.

Going down the tube very quickly in scotland and if this new tender becomes the norm they'll struggle to find folk either willing to do the work or clever enouhgh to fill the forms in.

Seemingly with the new tenders any SE subbies have to be vetted by FC first in the tender (which includes the tax man,dss)

A lot of planting squads might struggle if thats the case

Edited by drinksloe
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Big J said:

On Monday we start on a new site working for the Forestry Commission for the first time. 

I appreciate that they are very particular about health and safety compliance, as well as correct procedure. 

Can anyone share their experiences getting started with the Commission and any teething issues they might have had? Up to this point everything has been quite straightforward and easy, but I want to make sure that I'm starting on the right footing. 

I have:

• 2 cutters, fully qualified, full PPE, fully insured under my insurances
  • All relevant signage
  • Risk assessments
  • Method statement
  • My qualifications (I'm actually doing my forwarder assessment on the morning we get started!) and insurances and all relevant PPE
  • Spill kit, major first aid kit

Can anyone add to that? 

Any help much appreciated.

Hi J i can add make sure your cutters are carrying a whistle and large wound dressing on there person and the dressing is in date, all so make sure helmets are in date  and  they are proper ground/forestry helmets with a peak and not just a pudding basin climbing helmet, and first aid + F is a good ticket to have and its cheap @ about £70 per head apart from that do as asked and if you can leave the site tidyer than asked and they will have you back, good luck,

• Like 2