Backpack or cowhorn brushcutter for graveyard...

BobG

I've been tasked with clearing a four acre church/graveyard which is overgrown with brambles and young trees. It is on uneven ground and many of the large horizontal gravestones are surrounded by 8 inch high wrought iron railings which you can't see until you've hit them with the strimmer/brushcutter. What type and size of machine would you recommend and what type of cutter? I'm thinking that I'll have to stick with nylon line due the amount of hidden ironwork.

thanks in advance...

strimmer.jpg

strimmer2.jpg

strimmer3.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OREGON-TECHNI-BLADE-YELLOW-6mm-205-pieces-professional-quality-strimmer-line/362066615217?epid=1805570915&hash=item544cda1bb1:g:saoAAOxyJX1TBylU

Either way I'd get an attachment that uses these^^^ for 1 machine near the gravestones and thick grass and standard brush cutter blades for brambles etc not near graves in another machine or switch over heads. 

Can't you kill it in areas?

Personally cowhorn, much nicer on a harness than a backpack, If it will run it id get 3.3mm line. Wouldn’t take anything around the actual gravestone as even nylon line can mark if stones old/moss has grown on it/weathers got in ect ect.. leave 6 inch around each stone and Gingerly use a pole hedge trimmer if you must, id be tempted to get some glyphosate down myself.

maybe something like a wheeled strimmer would be easier https://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/wheeled-strimmers-brush-cutters.html 

other outlets available I think you can hire them if its going to be a one off  or something like this https://etesia.co.uk/etesia/brushcutters/attila-88.html  then finish the dodgy areas with a hand strimmer

Wish we could but the fence is only two feet high in places...

How about a flock of mini sheep, a deckchair and a cold beverage?
Failing that I'd use a light strimmer with 2mm cord for the easy/grassy stuff and an angled pole hedge trimmer on a harness for the thicker stuff.
Make sure it has the metal end thing.
Small chainsaw and silky for the rest.
[emoji106]