How does a genny work?

Justme

That would give me a genny replacement cost of £330 per year over the 5 years it will take me to do 4000 hours.

At that its almost worth buying cheap ones & changing them every year.

(but they are not a quiet)

I will defo be upping the oil changes. I guess I will sell it when I feel its starting to show signs of wear & to be unreliable.

I would prefer a longer lasting one but the cost & the noise is an issue. One neighbour that is about 250m away was complaining about the genny we had before this one (powerplus I think) this one so a thumper is not a good idea.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be dont buy anymore of those shown in your pic. very poor quality we have seen so many problems we dont take them in for service anymore. I think you are right about selling when it feels right. We have had 40,000 hrs out of perkins 3152 engines but they are 29 kva so too big for you. I had a 16 kva lister in a silent canopy you could hear a mouse fart next to it. Had 3000 hrs on it last time I see it. If it comes up for sale I will let u know, I have sold it 3 times now last time it went for 2k

I have in the work shop a 3 kva lister flat top year 2001 done about 3000 hrs start on demand with original receipt fo nearly 4k . 1500 rpm alt requires repair or replacement. I bought it in 3 years ago for £550, yours if you want it. Its open frame though so you would need to find a canopy.

My advice would be dont buy anymore of those shown in your pic. very poor quality we have seen so many problems we dont take them in for service anymore.

I had a 16 kva lister in a silent canopy you could hear a mouse fart next to it. Had 3000 hrs on it last time I see it. If it comes up for sale I will let u know, I have sold it 3 times now last time it went for 2k

Yeh I know, we bought a used one & it dint last long. It still does start, run & make power but after about 20 mins cuts out. I was thinking of sending it off to be sorted. But sounds like its not worth it so I might just tinker with it.

The 16 kva sound interesting. Whats the fuel consumption like?

For long life and reliability you need to aim for 1500 rpm stuff. Cheaper on fuel too.

Yes I know its the noise thats the issue (neighbour & us).

The Pramac with the lid shut is OK but open the lid & it gets loud.

(but the 1kw petrol suitcase type one I borrowed is worse, not louder just worse, I guess its the frequency)

I have in the work shop a 3 kva lister flat top year 2001 done about 3000 hrs start on demand with original receipt for nearly 4k . 1500 rpm alt requires repair or replacement. I bought it in 3 years ago for £550, yours if you want it. Its open frame though so you would need to find a canopy.

How much?

If its a 2001 wont it be a listeroid?

Whats the fuel consumption like on that?

I guess as you have not fixed it it will need a new alt or costly repair?

Got any pics?

I could fit a dc alt to direct charge the bats as a temp fix.

Typical when you want one there are no canopies on ebay.

I think longer term a 2 or 3 kw one for regular use & a 10kw+ one for bigger jobs. At least have a spare then & also wont be using to much fuel on a big one running small loads.

I did consider a "heat & power" set up but even in winter we dont run the genny enough to provide heat. Plus it will mean having the genny closer to the house.

I have also toyed with the idea of a steam powered one as we have "free" wood. They seem to be small model types or large ones.