How does a genny work?

Justme

1, Sounds like a little bit more of a problem than the capacitor.

2, capacitors dont blow because of rev fluctuations, that is bull.

3, The person who sold it will have already had a quote for repair and thats why its being sold.

4, I had a genny in for repair which turned out to be the avr, the genny was about £600 new, the avr as a spare was £430

Generators have a small magnetic field in the for of a small magnet in the rotor, when it starts to spin it generates a tiny current which then passes through the avr and which circulates it round building up more and more current untill it reaches a stage where it regulates it at the required voltage. Simply put

Some gennys dont have an avr but do the same via the capacitor, through a small winding buried in the stator or outer winding, sometimes when the capacitor have gone this small innner winding can burn out so the process will not begin even with a new capacitor

1, Thats what I thought

2, Ditto

3, I bought it new. Its 2 weeks inside its warranty

4, This one comes with no AVR. The AVR add on is about £200 which I paid.

As it has the Avr (with its own 2 caps) the alt cap should be redundant I would have thought?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1, Thats what I thought

2, Ditto

3, I bought it new. Its 2 weeks inside its warranty

4, This one comes with no AVR. The AVR add on is about £200 which I paid.

As it has the Avr (with its own 2 caps) the alt cap should be redundant I would have thought?

Get it back in on warranty quickly. :001_smile:

With no avr it must have a capacitor for regulation, the value of which is important, you may be able to down load a spec sheet from the manufacturers website and it may give you a value without AVR

Get it back in on warranty quickly. :001_smile:

With no avr it must have a capacitor for regulation, the value of which is important, you may be able to down load a spec sheet from the manufacturers website and it may give you a value without AVR

Thats the trouble.

Its in with the dealers & they are saying that the air filter & fuel filter are causing the engine to run "rough" & have blown the cap. I think the engine sounds lovely & smooth.

So they wont fix it under warranty.

dont know yet what they will want to fix it.

If it is just a cap which cant cost much to change or fit I think they are playing a stupid game risking their good name for a few £.

Mine does have the AVR as I paid extra for it. That should make the standard cap redundant.

Thats the trouble.

Its in with the dealers & they are saying that the air filter & fuel filter are causing the engine to run "rough" & have blown the cap. I think the engine sounds lovely & smooth.

Just get a receipt off them for taking the genny in and tell them that you think they are wrong about the "running rough" explanation, so you are going to contact the manufacturers tech dept to see what they think :thumbup1:

They are bulling you big style

Just get a receipt off them for taking the genny in and tell them that you think they are wrong about the "running rough" explanation, so you are going to contact the manufacturers tech dept to see what they think :thumbup1:

They are bulling you big style

They had it collected so I have the couriers paperwork.

It is the makers tech dept lol.

(well the Uk branch any way)

As my "rights" are with the seller & not the maker. I will have to get it fixed & then chase the seller. But they will use the makers report as defence.

Unless I can find an expert to "diss" there report I am stuffed.

But like I said they will loose out more. I will diss them to hell & back & if I loose them one sale it will have cost them more than replacing one cap.

As I am an off gridder I am in contact with lots of people that use & buy this sort of genny. A personal recommendation goes a long way or not lol.

They sound a right set of cowboys.

I dont know the manufacturer obviously but it is likely that they are a franchise.

What I would do is phone someone like Stephill generators and ask their tech dept if for example you had a mucky air filter and the engine revs weren't stable.....

Just see what they say.

It's amazing that auto revving gennys dont blow capacitors every two minutes

They sound a right set of cowboys.

I dont know the manufacturer obviously but it is likely that they are a franchise.

What I would do is phone someone like Stephill generators and ask their tech dept if for example you had a mucky air filter and the engine revs weren't stable.....

Just see what they say.

It's amazing that auto revving gennys dont blow capacitors every two minutes

Yep they do sound a bit yehar.

I would guess they are a franshise but the people I am dealing with are the makers UK importer / dealer / agent. I bought from an independant.

I might just make that call to a few genny places to see what they say.

I have a petrol one that I am using. Its up & down the rev range like billyo.

What about the ones with saver settings to knock back the speed to save fuel under low loads?