Hours

forestboy1978

OK so my current guy wants a 24 hour a week contract and we've agreed to terms. He probably wants to work mostly 5 days per week with December almost completely off but aside from that a commitment to 24 hours a week and all through the books. We're both happy. 

Previous full time guy wants to come back in spring on 32 hours a week contract on the books. Still discussing it. He wants more money. Might give him it but after 6 months cos I'm making some changes and I've got to be careful.

So all of us like a get to the yard in time to get to work for 08.30, whatever time that may be, and work hell for leather till 15.30 or until the job finishes if it's definitely doable by 5 pm and time gets filed for taking later or picked up when finishing early. Usually they do better out of it than worse. 

Of course the philosophy is break when you want. Feeling crap... do what  you've got to do to get through the day. Yes take fag breaks, just make them short and not often. Eat on the go and get GTFO once the place is tidy. Mostly done and out the door and home by 4pm, mostly. 

Is this legal? What happens if I want to take someone else on and they can't commit to it. I mean I totally understand if it's not for you kinda thing. It just works for us. Feel crap after a lunch anyway. Rather go home early and eat pretty much all evening. 

What's your thoughts on this?  

14 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

probably illegal to deny someone a break if they specifically ask for it.  I forget what the set amount of time people are supposed to have.

Guys can break when they want. Literally, if someone's got their ass in and they are feeling of if they want 2 hours in the cab I appreciate the endeavour. Probably would have said go home but you get what I mean. 

8 minutes ago, headgroundsman said:

Thanks mate. 

Well they can still have that and still be more productive taking 1 x 20 mins break and working 6 hours 40 mins than taking 20 mins in the morning, 45 mins at lunch and then being slow for 1 hour after and then 20 mins mid afternoon.

We probably take 30 mins a day in 3 or 4 breaks. Still leaves 6 1/2 hours very productive productive work time compared to 6 hours and 40 mins less productive work time and later finish IMO and everyone else's, so far....

Edited by forestboy1978

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

What's the 24 hours a week about. Is it to do with benefits?

I ask because the fella who does repairs on my machine engine recently let a lad go who wanted to do the same.

Does things on the side and is also lazy. Wants the option but doesn't really take it. However, I'm planning a 4 day week from now on for myself on site so it does give us both flexibility to say ***k this is it's lashing it down on a day.