Micro pulley or zigzag?

forestboy1978

1 hour ago, s o c said:

This is not very helpful.

a lot of terms/ jargon/abbreviations to take in when starting out.

get trainer or experienced climber you know to make a list of basic kit.

i still use Prussic on my short climbing rope for small to medium trees.

on the aerial rescue issue: don’t forget you will have  this responsibility when you hire a climber in

If someone's use single rope technique you're not gonna have the luxury of time getting a second rope up. Would you ascend his line and hook to him and double prussic down or what?

Would a person using single rope technique attach a secondary rescue line or would this cause problems with working?

If you were positively sure his line was undamaged, and his tie in point could carry your combined weight (test before ascent) and that the line was rated for your combined weight with whatever knots etc, then why not? However, you would end up underneath the casualty, so would still have to transition to another system to get close enough to effect the rescue. In terms of using his line to bring both of you down, theoretically yes, but I think would be dodgy with prussics, they would be inclined to either bind from too much weight (all the weight on one leg) or slide too fast, depending on the construction of the line. You would most likely need a dedicated rescue line in a bag to take up with you. Also the standing end of his line could be all over the place, not hanging down conveniently beneath him, making it unclimbable from the ground.

• Thanks 1

So  basically double rope technique sucks in many practical way and in speed of rescue. 

However you look at it, if I'm not in the tree with him, I'm farting around with a big shot or double roping up to him to hook up and secure and lower down... 

I'm pretty calm when the shit hits the fan but throwing a rope up a damn tree to then double roping up the tree why a guy is bleeding out does not seem acceptable to me. Surely a fixed secondary line is the way to go with single rope technique apparatus fixed to your harness?

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

I think you should get a bit of climbing under your belt before getting wrapped up in theoretical debates about the merits of this or that system in any given situation.

I appreciate that but I'm really more thinking about aerial rescue scenarios than anything else. 

I appreciate that but I'm really more thinking about aerial rescue scenarios than anything else. 
Id say which system is most appropriate is completely dependant on the tree and the rescuers skill. For me trying to sort out an unfamiliar srt ascent ( even if this was the theoretically fastest method of access) would be more time consuming than drt repositioning anchor every 3m or so.

Likely I'd also be wapping the spikes on for a quick ascent in many situations or reaching for the triple ladder.

Imo it would be rare that using the injured climbers line for ascent and decent would be the quickest/safest option, although I did footlock up a single line to rescue someone In my aerial rescue exam for some reason, but descended on a seperate line ( you'd be certainly taking a line with you always right?).

To answer your question, by all means experiment with pulleys, srt , zigzag etc but they won't make you into a good climber, but may make some aspects of climbing fractionally easier. You main things to learn as a new climber will be more about rope position and how to access different parts if a canopy with ease, getting used to work at height, and pruning technique etc. You'll be fine for a while with just a prussoc, I have only relatively recently switched to hitch climber which I enjoy, and seems to be variable enough to work with many rope combos (and I think Srt?).
  • Like 1

A little harsh perhaps...  

I did a weeks long climbing and aerial rescue course and I have a shit memory. I did use double rope technique just didn't think about my answer. I do vaguely know the difference but yeah I intend to teach myself as much as possible once I'm not working 60-80 hour weeks. Winter basically I intend to read and spend time learning not just lots of extra techniques as well as immerse myself in all things trees generally. 

Not intended combatively. You come across as someone who appreciates doing things well. I told you how I see things in the hope that you’ll take my advice, have a better life and forever think kindly of me. Good luck with it all. Keep us updated.

• Like 1