Micro pulley or zigzag?

forestboy1978

1 minute ago, stihlmadasever said:

Competent means able not skillful.

Theres a big fuckn jump from competent to doing something well.

I know what it means. Many people with NPTC certificates are not competent. I've met several of them.

15 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I know what it means. Many people with NPTC certificates are not competent. I've met several of them.

Id agree but Nptc probably wouldnt.

Imho Nptc assesors look to  atain a certain pass rate with students rather than fail any.Those who are possibly lacking in the ability are usually molly codled through.

Is this due to pressure from the companies sending students on these courses?

Perhaps

I know a guy who failed a course and his employer never used that training company again.

Ive seen guys coming back from courses that struggled to cross cut timber never mind fell a tree.

The courses,especially the climbing,seem to be stuck in the dark ages with the content.I was fortunate to go with a great tutor who showed us modern tecniques aswell as the 3 knot system and prussik ddrt traditional way of climbing.

Nptc havent evolved as quickly as climbing has...

Why do people always knock NPTC certs? Its just the same as every other test, you pass on the day and you get your bit of paper. NO different than a lot of other practical examinations, driving test for one, lots of unsafe drivers out there and its way more important than a chainsaw cert.

Imagine the outcry if we adopted the IRATA way of things.

• Like 2

ForestBoy, I'd learn the ropes on a prussik, you could even push the boat out and use a split tail and a blakes hitch.  If you're concerned about rescuing someone, then you'd be best off knowing how to climb on the equipment that will most likely be there. Push comes to shove, you've got the three knot system. Once you're comfortable in the canopy and can tie your knots in the dark, then venture onto other things.  When working with trees and ropes 'clicks' you'll be in a much better position to explore different methods of working a tree.

• Like 1

funny you mention it. I tied and re tied my 3 knot system with my eyes closed yesterday while I was arguing on here. 

I actually had already forgotten how to add the prussic to it though and had to re learn it again and then also did that eyes closed. 

I also learnt a double a double prussic rope. What I find is if the rope is the wrong way round or I have to tie the knot back to front or upside down or some factor is altered I screw it up. In this regard I am leaving a 5 meter rope in the bedroom to practice things from every conceivable angle. 

What's prussocking ? According to urban dictionary it's getting dicked over by an out of shape alcoholic. :scared1: I'm not  a climber unless you count ladders but I've used Prusik and Blake's hitch and both worked for me. If I was going to do something serious I would spend the money and get the best for the job, zigzag or whatever is the favourite at the moment.

21 hours ago, AHPP said:

Because they cost loads, prove nothing and cause lazy employers to employ substandard workers who put people at risk.

Not the biggest fan eh.:)

Fair enough but what can be done though?

Nothingcan be done about cost, I doubt anyone wants to work for nothing, I didn't think the test was actually that expensive?

I think they at least prove someone has gotten off their arse to and at least tried.

The employer thing, well they will always be about no matter what so all the blame is on them and the employee.

More training, more enforcement(if possible) and therefore more consequences due to lack of staff training would cost a massive amount of money which I doubt none of us would want to pay for.

I suppose you could scrap the entire thing but that could never happen.

• Like 1