Micro pulley or zigzag?

forestboy1978

Haven't done much research into pricing but guessing the pulley is FAR cheaper than the zigzag. 

However, I would imagine the pulley gets more in the way than the zigzag. 

Just starting I don't want to be all the gear no idea kinda person and wanna keep spending down due to well, basically too much spending lately. 

Was tempted to start with just prussocking to have to work the body more but I'm already slow as shit, anything really to keep the rope tight and out of the way and reduce fatigue might be advantageous. 

If I was 20 I'd maybe think differently but I'm starting late. 

Start with a pulley and see if you like it, it's cheaper and more effective than bodythrusting with a prusik. If you decide to upgrade to a mechanical climbing device later on, you'll still find a use for the pulley. A foot ascender is also handy to have, especially when you have to climb the rope and can't get near the stem or limbs.

• Like 1

Prussocking!

I saw the use of a zigzag but did not use it. 

What that says to me is that you don’t know the difference between double rope technique and single rope technique (or even that these different things exist).

The answer you want: Pulley because it can be used for loads of stuff and is pretty much as good under a hitch as a zig zag. Noteworthily, it’s easier to put a rope wrench above a forgiving hitch and pulley rather than a slick zig zag.

The answer you stand to benefit more from: Go and get your money back from your training provider. At best, they’ve failed to give you a broad understanding of tree climbing systems and also failed to teach you the rapidly emerging industry standard. Especially bad considering your age and fitness... And, at worst, your aerial rescue knowledge is unacceptably holey.

If you want to make money by climbing trees, get some more (good) training or take the time to teach yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

What that says to me is that you don’t know the difference between double rope technique and single rope technique (or even that these different things exist).

The answer you want: Pulley because it can be used for loads of stuff and is pretty much as good under a hitch as a zig zag. Noteworthily, it’s easier to put a rope wrench above a forgiving hitch and pulley rather than a slick zig zag.

The answer you stand to benefit more from: Go and get your money back from your training provider. At best, they’ve failed to give you a broad understanding of tree climbing systems and also failed to teach you the rapidly emerging industry standard. Especially bad considering your age and fitness... And, at worst, your aerial rescue knowledge is unacceptably holey.

If you want to make money by climbing trees, get some more (good) training or take the time to teach yourself.

A little harsh perhaps...

I did a weeks long climbing and aerial rescue course and I have a shit memory. I did use double rope technique just didn't think about my answer. I do vaguely know the difference but yeah I intend to teach myself as much as possible once I'm not working 60-80 hour weeks. Winter basically I intend to read and spend time learning not just lots of extra techniques as well as immerse myself in all things trees generally. 

47 minutes ago, AHPP said:

This is not very helpful.

a lot of terms/ jargon/abbreviations to take in when starting out.

get trainer or experienced climber you know to make a list of basic kit.

i still use Prussic on my short climbing rope for small to medium trees.

on the aerial rescue issue: don’t forget you will have  this responsibility when you hire a climber in

• Like 1