Quad question

openspaceman

1 hour ago, Gray git said:

Modified Jimney emoji7.pngemoji7.png

I have a Vitara for taking the dog out  and my occasional paying jobs and I rate it. As you say it would need some modifications as whilst it is capable of getting places it doesn't have the ground clearance of a LR110 and my broken exhaust proves it after I followed down a green lane.

Thanks for all the suggestions; the reason for looking at the quad  was for road speed and being able to park it in a suburban garage.

The woodland site is steep and adjacent to  a main road with no security unless someone is on site. Hence my perceived need for an ROPS and  not wishing to leave anything on site.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I have a Vitara for taking the dog out  and my occasional paying jobs and I rate it. As you say it would need some modifications as whilst it is capable of getting places it doesn't have the ground clearance of a LR110 and my broken exhaust proves it after I followed down a green lane.

Thanks for all the suggestions; the reason for looking at the quad  was for road speed and being able to park it in a suburban garage.

The woodland site is steep and adjacent to  a main road with no security unless someone is on site. Hence my perceived need for an ROPS and  not wishing to leave anything on site.

Can u even get ROPS for a quad?

Never seen 1 yet, i know i've had a windscreen/roof combo and it massively alters how the quad handles and makes u roling it far more likely. The lad who services it has almost rolled it a few times just in his yard turning it too quick that u could do no probs with a normal quad

Also know a couple of folk with 8x8 argo's who push them to the extreme, they take the factory fitted rops off, as they say makes it far more likely to roll as more wieght up top, they also say if it rolls it will keep on rolling till it gets to the bottom of the hill as u have made a tube shape.

Personally i'm not that brave on a quad but u can go a long way before it rolls on u, like many things learn gradually where u can take it untill u  get the feel for it.

As long as u have flat ground at top of banking u could winch/pull any trees up the slope with a block to redirect.

Quads are generally poor pulling loads up steep hills even if it can go down it safely

10 hours ago, drinksloe said:

A lot of farms in my area have done away with them and went back to quads as just to deer to run and making too much mess in the wet fields

I watched a quad with a little trailer on chewing a furrow in a rugby pitch and they towed it off with a Mule, it must depend on the operator a lot of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Can u even get ROPS for a quad?

Yes e.g.

https://www.tradefarmmachinery.com.au/reviews/1503/atv-lifeguard-roll-bar-review

Personally i'm not that brave on a quad but u can go a long way before it rolls on u, like many things learn gradually where u can take it untill u  get the feel for it.

As long as u have flat ground at top of banking u could winch/pull any trees up the slope with a block to redirect.

Quads are generally poor pulling loads up steep hills even if it can go down it safely

It wouldn't be used for timber as I have some tractors for that, mainly for taking tools and kit up the hill and pulling a trailer on the flat. The drivers will be somewhat younger than I.

Edited by openspaceman

Quad is a great tool for moving materials and tools around, I'd miss it if we didn't have it on the jobs that warrant it.  Easy to over-load though, and if you're carrying anything heavy you need to think about how to load it.  Not great on side slopes in my opinion, if you're on steep ground better going straight up and down.  We're running an old Kawasaki KLF 300, good enough for what I want, easy to pick up second hand for little cash.  If you're using it a lot might want to think about something bigger and newer, but more cash - easier to get something road registered I'd think though. 

Video taking saws, fuel etc out along a ride - quad ideal for this sort of thing, less good for timber extraction type work.

• Thanks 1