Whats the point of wasps?

Steve Bullman

2 hours ago, Yournamehere said:

Mate! Bats are protected. You're not meant to do that.

Smart-arse ,  I thought we were clear of journalists type misquotes on here ... 'electronic raquet zapper' then just for you Yournamehere.

Interesting point though,  bats vs wasps, purpose vs agrivation ???

• Like 1

12 hours ago, westphalian said:

As a kid I remember asking my dad why god invented fleas. “So you wash yourself son”

Now I know there is no reason, they just are, they evolved to fill a niche. I disagree that humans would not survive without wasps. Something else would take their place. Apparently neither Sweet Baby Jesus nor Allah likes vacuums. I don’t mind them myself but then again I’m not a deity

They are handy for keeping the carpet clean though. Maybe they didnt like the noise?

Very interesting read but I have been stung by wasps many a time in the past and it bloody hurts plus I have a bad reaction to their stings and swell up a lot. Sorry, but death to the wasp that interfere's with me or my own.

• Like 1

This explains the attack my self and my poor 9 month old pup suffered in September last year. Wasps had moved into an underground bee hive that had been partially excavated by a badger. Like Winnie the poo, my pup went after the sweet smell of honey and stuck his head in the hole. My heart sank when I realised what was to follow. As he lifted his head from the hole, what I can only describe as a cloud of wasps emerged, covering me and the pup, the noise was deafening!! I suffered some 30-40 stings (at a guess) and my 9 month old retriever pup resembled a giant wasp in colour. Thankfully neither of us react badly to wasp stings but the pain was unreal and I can't imagine what fear the poor pup felt

• Like 1

Unpopular they are when you have the misfortune to make them angry, they are very hard workers and do a lot to clean up the environment for most of the year.  All they ask for is a little sweetness at the end of the year for all their toil.

We have a nest at the log cabin just above the door in a hollow area above the lintel.  We have been in and out many times and have not even been buzzed even though they have always has a couple of lookouts at the entrance fanning to keep the nest cool

However there is hardly any activity recently although there are still some to be seen in the entrance, none flying in and out.

This space is shared further along the poplar log with some Pipistrelle bats who live in the hollow under the log formed by the full scribe method of cabin building.

I just wondered if the bats had had enough of the wasps but wondered if they would cope with a wasp, or would they be killed by the stings.

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Unpopular they are when you have the misfortune to make them angry, they are very hard workers and do a lot to clean up the environment for most of the year.  All they ask for is a little sweetness at the end of the year for all their toil.

We have a nest at the log cabin just above the door in a hollow area above the lintel.  We have been in and out many times and have not even been buzzed even though they have always has a couple of lookouts at the entrance fanning to keep the nest cool

However there is hardly any activity recently although there are still some to be seen in the entrance, none flying in and out.

This space is shared further along the poplar log with some Pipistrelle bats who live in the hollow under the log formed by the full scribe method of cabin building.

I just wondered if the bats had had enough of the wasps but wondered if they would cope with a wasp, or would they be killed by the stings.

They are about at different times of the day so wouldn't tend to meet.

A couple of years ago we were out at the seaside and a woman with a kid in a pushchair (covered in ice cream) were being pestered by wasps. She stopped and got out some baby wipes to clean the kid up and had to do a runner into a nearby shop as the scent of the wipes attracted a whole swarm of wasps, the air was thick with them. How neither of them got stung I will never know.

3 hours ago, felixthelogchopper said:

They are about at different times of the day so wouldn't tend to meet.

But in this case they have to meet at the entrance.  The wasps will be fanning to try and cool the nest.

I was wondering if bats have a special method of tackling them by perhaps folding their wings forward as a shield and somehow biting their heads off.

We saw a hornets nest being built next to a wasps nest in the rafters a couple of years ago and the hornets destroyed the wasps nest and ate the grubs.

• Like 1