Woodcutta & Splitta Combo #1 - Super Output, 20 years old and still going !

Bustergasket

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is the latest....i have had a slight weep from the log lift arm for a while now so decided to pull the ram and have a look inside, so i ordered a seal kit from Fuelwood and also a new ram as a back up, the new ram has different pin sizes so i ordered some phosphorus bronze bushes to arrive at my 20mm pin sizeIMG_6120.thumb.jpg.05008e168f2f597fa653330d8d9052b6.jpgIMG_6121.thumb.jpg.0c72af4a6272cec64c9b110c658cfa35.jpgIMG_6125.thumb.jpg.9c85881ac80aadc4086fe9c02a175241.jpg however i was keen to strip the old ram and have a look, inside, i could see straight away the o ring seal had failed, and it was on the blind side which was why it was hard to see, and then on removal of the rod i saw some damage to the soft close end, it looked like the split pin had failed and has been getting munchedIMG_6128.thumb.jpg.3a9377a976b3ae2c59933969a0e20d9f.jpg now iam sure its an easy repair but i figured it’s 20 years old and prob had had enough so decided to fit the new with the new bushes especially as i had it, i will rebuild the old as a back up, well the ram removes and installs in minutes so it went back together great, the new ram does not have a soft close end so i can add an external damper, this is how the new ones are, i will get one ordered, for now the arm transfer speed has been slowed down just a quick turn of the relevant knob, now it’s looking like iam back at work on monday so decided to have a push and mod the infeed, i have observed while using on large dia that there is some scope to get a bit more, it would involve moving the pivot point for the log hold down arm, i moved it 2 inch back and 2 inch upIMG_6132.thumb.jpg.9e61206600783b36b2aa11baae6c8552.jpg it now means the nylon tapered rollers will go up past the crossbar, original holes still present so easily switched back, i fed through a previous refusal and it went through ok, getting to confident i put an even bigger bit through and that has showed me a small tweak to the conveyor is in order, i have put off these easy tweaks as realistically the splitta 360 is already running at over 400mm dia and without doing a major mod iam not going to get more, however iam now pretty much resigned to the fact that i need a splitta 400 which has more capacity so if anyone knows of one coming up, would need to be hydraulic as opposed to pto, please let me know, here is the conveyor IMG_6134.thumb.jpg.0a7fbb049ef3bcf8e4f0c2861f9b0f72.jpg also been chopping some smoke chunks as an experiment IMG_6130.thumb.jpg.d599f5d949b2eb0b168af8368162d9ac.jpg i set the log length down to 4.5 inch and ran them side by side through the splitta, was not sure if it was going to work but it did, just something that iam trying in addition to the logs and kindling. I have also run out of timber so will be on the lookout for some more, it’s chopped 270 cube over the past few weeks as i have been running it for 2-3 hrs a day just on my own, i have had time to monitor the counter it looks like i get about 1250 cuts per chain average dia 10-12 inch it’s .404, don’t know how that compares ? anyway you all keep on chopping and have fun [emoji106]

• Like 1

Well.... once you start... so been modifying the infeed to allow larger dia to the saw, here’s some pictures beforeIMG_6134.jpg after13976E50-1F7F-48C3-A156-6402BEBC9305.jpg cut the side out IMG_6138.jpg changed the angle slightly and welded it back upIMG_6143.jpgtrimmed the dogs back on the one sideIMG_6162.jpg now it will cut the log previously refused 13976E50-1F7F-48C3-A156-6402BEBC9305.jpg, managed to torch another chinese fire blanket IMG_6144.jpg, it’s looking good and the more open nature of the infeed gives more leeway for surface irregularities, need to re center the log hold down arm, keep on chopping [emoji106]

• 10 months later...

Well now we have another load of cutting done and i have some wholesale orders coming in i thought it would be a good time to replace all of the hydraulic hoses on the Woodcutta, now it’s important to remember that this machine is over 20 years old now and some hoses are still original however some were weeping and others perished, when removed they were not flexible i guess a bit of age hardening, opted for spiral wrapIMG_1616881007.290890.jpgIMG_1616881112.594993.jpgIMG_1616881138.906321.jpg while i was there i decided to add another counterIMG_1616881202.215091.jpg these counters are really useful the top one is now used to counts cuts on a chain, the lower one will not get reset so will be a running total, it also has now had all the rams replaced as they were looking well used after 20 years, i will rebuild them and have as spares IMG_1616881360.574175.jpg i plan on doing a few videos when i get a chance, it’s running so well, this new modification to the cleaner has made a big difference to the quality of logs in the bag, next jobs are going to be some work on the the conveyors and the electrics, keep on chopping [emoji23]

• Like 1