Woodcutta & Splitta Combo #1 - Super Output, 20 years old and still going !

Bustergasket

For netted logs I can see yours is perfect. Can you bag off the end like the kindla? We uses to have the kindla a long time ago which is the same principle. 

The ram on ours is 25tons, it usually splits with 15 then slows down and gives it all the force if it starts to struggle. 

We're farming as well and do chip and billets so the machine runs most days in the winter but not all day. Realistic production on 9inch is 5cube an hour but that goes up as high as 15 on perfect 18inch.

I uploaded to YouTube and pasted the link here. I can't remember now if this site automatically embeds the video or not.

Yes we can nett straight off the machine with either logs or kindling, the conveyor i have put on the end just unclips, i just yesterday got an order for a 1000 log nets this is incremental to the bulk loads we do, so is welcome, just need to order more nets now !
That 25 ton is impressive, i was watching your video again, have you tried setting the ram so it “half strokes” i set the transaw so it just pushes the ring about 10mm into knife then returns, next ring drops in behind the other ring and that one pushes the other through, obviously depends on length of log but we found that much quicker and also if you get the gap right it might help those bouncers stay in line ? just a thought, that’s good output, and i will endeavour to get a video of the Fuelwood machine uploaded [emoji106]

4 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

Yes we can nett straight off the machine with either logs or kindling, the conveyor i have put on the end just unclips, i just yesterday got an order for a 1000 log nets this is incremental to the bulk loads we do, so is welcome, just need to order more nets now !
That 25 ton is impressive, i was watching your video again, have you tried setting the ram so it “half strokes” i set the transaw so it just pushes the ring about 10mm into knife then returns, next ring drops in behind the other ring and that one pushes the other through, obviously depends on length of log but we found that much quicker and also if you get the gap right it might help those bouncers stay in line ? just a thought, that’s good output, and i will endeavour to get a video of the Fuelwood machine uploaded emoji106.png

Thanks be good to see a video, there's a button on the joystick to reverse the ram at any point. For some reason most people don't use it who I've seen cut but I like to do just what you said and only push the logs half way each time so the next one doesn't flip on short logs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gdh said:

Thanks be good to see a video, there's a button on the joystick to reverse the ram at any point. For some reason most people don't use it who I've seen cut but I like to do just what you said and only push the logs half way each time so the next one doesn't flip on short logs. 

Do you use the button all the time. The new Posch has a short stroke setting so the ram  only goes out part way for doing short 8" logs - so the cycle time is quicker.

Is there a position on the log stop for 8" logs?

Thanks

7 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Do you use the button all the time. The new Posch has a short stroke setting so the ram  only goes out part way for doing short 8" logs - so the cycle time is quicker.

Thanks

I only use it on short pieces, the two flaps keep longer logs from falling at angle anyway. I think there's no short setting as it splits before the next cut on all but the smallest logs anyway. 

The shortest the stop will do is 10inch but I have a bit of wood on it to do our standard 9 and add another bit for 6 with no issues. 

Yes i agree, on the Transaw there is a sliding bar that’s sits sort of behind the ram but on top so it’s easy to get to this allows you to adjust the ram travel and hence auto return to any length, i find on mine about an inch of push into the knife is ideal on 10 inch logs, also have just worked out how to upload the short video on a fresh post, don’t think it’s going to win any oscars but i hope you enjoy [emoji106]

20 hours ago, gdh said:

I only use it on short pieces, the two flaps keep longer logs from falling at angle anyway. I think there's no short setting as it splits before the next cut on all but the smallest logs anyway. 

The shortest the stop will do is 10inch but I have a bit of wood on it to do our standard 9 and add another bit for 6 with no issues. 

Definitely considering modifying to enable a shorter stroke as it saves a lot of time when you multiply it up - need stroke length to just do 10" length. so the 2nd log drops into splitting chamber to push 1st log through. Need the 480 Plus 1st though ! 

Edited by arboriculturist

Thanks
I've just ordered a 375! Hopefully here by the end of the month. Will let you know how the half stroke setting works. We are doing a lot of softwood this year so I think the half stroke on 10-12" softwood will be rapid!!

2 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:
On 07/08/2018 at 14:00, arboriculturist said:
Thanks

I've just ordered a 375! Hopefully here by the end of the month. Will let you know how the half stroke setting works. We are doing a lot of softwood this year so I think the half stroke on 10-12" softwood will be rapid!!

That Posch 375 machine is a joy to use and provided you can get the exact spec. timber delivered you won't look back.

The only reason to change to the Tajfun 480 plus is the inconsistency of size we get delivered, due to roundwood shortages in the SW. - Not looking forward to that chain maintenance though having used TCT blade processors for years. ?

Edited by arboriculturist

That Posch 375 machine is a joy to use and provided you can get the exact spec. timber delivered you won't look back.

The only reason to change to the Tajfun 480 plus is the inconsistency of size we get delivered, due to roundwood shortages in the SW. - Not looking forward to that chain maintenance though having used TCT blade processors for years. [emoji106]

Do you think it’s getting harder to source processor grade timber ? i have been pretty lucky this year but it did take some forward planning and early commitment to buy all my timber from one source, as you have suggested there is quite a bit of variation even in sorted loads, do you think this could be what is driving the need for ever bigger capacity machines ? have you seen the jappa 435 ? for me i was not a fan as it looked too slow splitting each bit 3 or 4 times, but the more i think about it i can see a few advantages, see if you had a 600 diameter machine that would be great but the hydraulic side of things starts to get out of hand, but with the same principle as that 435 i think you could run sensible size hydraulics but open the machine out so it would handle bendy 400 or straight ish 600, this would also give regular size logs i think if things continue as they are then bigger machines will be more common and if they make them automatic then even better, i to have always run tct, was apprehensive about chain but really it’s not that bad, only takes a few mins and the gain you get is huge over a dull chain just takes the stress out of everything on the machine.