Woodcutta & Splitta Combo #1 - Super Output, 20 years old and still going !

Bustergasket

19 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

The 480  automatic knife height option is just under 4K now and there are 3 or 4 others with it now.

I'm thinking is it really worth it?

We have a 360 feeding the log deck and grade the stack onto bearers according to size already, so is it worth it.

Andy at Kilworth said yesterday that it scores on the log taper, which I had completely forgotten about.

Spending that amount the extra is not that significant - saying that it's approx £24K now.

gdh, you are a high volume producer - I am thinking it's a must even though extremely expensive for what it is.

Do you agree it's worth the investment?

For us definitely, that splitta is a brilliant set up by the way. It's just with a traditional processor it's one job and the tajfun will take 4-(just under)19inch wood and split to up to 20inch lengths including knotty hardwood. 

Ours has done at least 5000cube in the 2 and a half years we've had it so if you divide it back it's good value and with the height adjustment (which you can also do manually on the joystick there's a lot less resplitting which cuts down on time. 

It will depend how much you process of course but the best thing is to have a go of one, either at the apf or if you're down this way.

11 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

So does the automatic knife adjust it's own hight? Can it do a better job than reading the wood yourself and adjusting it manually? Sometimes you have to move the blade what would seem like the wrong way to allow for wavy grain. 

The clamp that holds the log in place also measures it so the wedge will centre on the log. Occasionally the logs too big to split 6 ways then you can use the manual buttons to lower it so you can just redo the top two pieces.

Only issue is the wedge can't always go down because of the wood under it but that's the same with manual of course. You can push a small bit through, lift it to clear it or it pulls itself down after a few cuts anyway. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gdh said:

For us definitely, that splitta is a brilliant set up by the way. It's just with a traditional processor it's one job and the tajfun will take 4-(just under)19inch wood and split to up to 20inch lengths including knotty hardwood. 

Ours has done at least 5000cube in the 2 and a half years we've had it so if you divide it back it's good value and with the height adjustment (which you can also do manually on the joystick there's a lot less resplitting which cuts down on time. 

It will depend how much you process of course but the best thing is to have a go of one, either at the apf or if you're down this way.

Great info - thanks for the offer. Unfortunately my sister Liz has moved away as she had 2 strokes which you will be aware of - she really back to normal now though, except getting older of course, or I would have been over to see you.

11 minutes ago, gdh said:

The clamp that holds the log in place also measures it so the wedge will centre on the log. Occasionally the logs too big to split 6 ways then you can use the manual buttons to lower it so you can just redo the top two pieces.

Only issue is the wedge can't always go down because of the wood under it but that's the same with manual of course. You can push a small bit through, lift it to clear it or it pulls itself down after a few cuts anyway. 

Andy at Kill. said once the next log has pushed the bits out under the wedge pressure has remained in the height adjustment cylinder and it automatically lowers itself immediately - or maybe that thought is perceived as the wedge lowers itself anyway when the clamp measures the next log to be cut as required.

13 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Andy at Kill. said once the next log has pushed the bits out under the wedge pressure has remained in the height adjustment cylinder and it automatically lowers itself immediately - or maybe that thought is perceived as the wedge lowers itself anyway when the clamp measures the next log to be cut as required.

It does lower nearly every time because there's enough space for the bits to fall away. It only won't lower if the pushing log starts to split before the current one has fully cleared - usually because of a knot or something. 

As I say it's rarely an issue. I'm doubting myself now but I think the height ram only pushes up with a spring constantly pulling it back down. 

Please pass on our best wishes to Liz when you get a chance, glad to hear she's recovering well. 

1 hour ago, gdh said:

It does lower nearly every time because there's enough space for the bits to fall away. It only won't lower if the pushing log starts to split before the current one has fully cleared - usually because of a knot or something. 

As I say it's rarely an issue. I'm doubting myself now but I think the height ram only pushes up with a spring constantly pulling it back down. 

Please pass on our best wishes to Liz when you get a chance, glad to hear she's recovering well. 

Will do ?

480 has an automatic knife height option but there is only[mention=37957]gdh[/mention] in the UK that has that because it’s a £5k option.

The rest of it is the same as the 400 but bigger.

It’s about as fast as can be for a chainsaw processor, it’s ideal feed stock would be 8-14” material for best output. Capable of filling an IBC in 6 minutes in those situations

I can do a 2cube container of softwood in 10 minutes flat but that was 12” perfectly straight 4m rejected saw logs.

It’s the continuous nature of your machine that makes its output so good. If I could stand at the controls all day and not have to do anything but operate then I’d wager I’d do 40 cube no problem.

What do you do with smaller diameter timber? Still feed it through? That’s always what slows me down. Thinking saw bench and not split would be better sub 5/6”

To me the more automatic bits the better, we ran some timber through the cutta / splitta on sat and did a mix, so we did some bags of kindling in the morning, we really struggle to keep up with the machine, then we switched to some log nets and then finally finished off with some bulk bags, it has surprised us how well the netted products are selling we did contemplate running both the splittas at the same time just for laughs really the thought of netting kindling while the other one fills bulk bags is appealing and the more i get to grips with the woodcutta iam finding it really does run on its own with very little involvement from me, i have tried it on 5 inch timber and found it works ok it’s obviously slower and i think that would be its lower limit, i get my timber man to avoid bringing me the small stuff, but if i get a few sticks then i still have the Trusty Transaw, although it’s not been used for a few months, but i don’t know about you but on a conv. processor i used to get a bit frustrated by the lack of vol. in the smaller diameters and would try and rush them through, anyone else get like that ?, however with this set up it does not bother me, difficult to explain but it just plugs away and your mind wanders off, also the more i watch it work, you have two machines going and the shoot is like a buffer so if there is a snag on one the other keeps going, where my conv processor comes to a complete stop, this means the lad feeding timber gets less stoppage time as it’s constant, yes i think if the Tajfun was running on its own the output would be up there, the other thing i have noticed which they don’t tell you in the brochure is that i have noticed my eyes are not sore the next day, i used to get loads of dust and itchy stuff coming out the next day !

The more we run the machine the more it keeps surprising us, and in ways that we genuinely did not expect, I think the benefits of fully automatic are not appreciated until you try it, i can see other manufacturers will have to follow.

Iam glad you like the setup gdh it has been fun getting it all going, we were talking at the end of the day on sat and discussing the pros and cons of all the machines we have tried and as you mention the conv processor will cut a longer log whereas this is limited to 10 inch, which is limited by the splitta, the newer ones i think are 14 inch, for us that’s not a trouble and we are making good use of the netted kindling and logs that it turns out, however i can see if you wanted to do longer boiler logs then you would need to keep a machine back, i saw your video where the log went through the knife on the Tajfun sideways how much push does that ram have ? 5000 cube is good going ! how many days do you run your machine ? did you upload you video to youtube first then paste a link to it ? i have a few vids of the new setup which show it working [emoji106]

5 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

Iam glad you like the setup gdh it has been fun getting it all going, we were talking at the end of the day on sat and discussing the pros and cons of all the machines we have tried and as you mention the conv processor will cut a longer log whereas this is limited to 10 inch, which is limited by the splitta, the newer ones i think are 14 inch, for us that’s not a trouble and we are making good use of the netted kindling and logs that it turns out, however i can see if you wanted to do longer boiler logs then you would need to keep a machine back, i saw your video where the log went through the knife on the Tajfun sideways how much push does that ram have ? 5000 cube is good going ! how many days do you run your machine ? did you upload you video to youtube first then paste a link to it ? i have a few vids of the new setup which show it working emoji106.png

For netted logs I can see yours is perfect. Can you bag off the end like the kindla? We uses to have the kindla a long time ago which is the same principle. 

The ram on ours is 25tons, it usually splits with 15 then slows down and gives it all the force if it starts to struggle. 

We're farming as well and do chip and billets so the machine runs most days in the winter but not all day. Realistic production on 9inch is 5cube an hour but that goes up as high as 15 on perfect 18inch.

I uploaded to YouTube and pasted the link here. I can't remember now if this site automatically embeds the video or not.