What are you paying your employees?

shillo

14 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

You’re joking aren’t you?

£50/day here SE, but I get £45 back for letting them kip on mattresses in my workshop.

They are bloody lucky I’m giving them work.

No training costs either as most of them get deported within a couple of weeks.

Yes. But on a more serious note what are you paying FL/Subbies? 

Depends what they’re capable of really.

£170 for my best climber at the mo, and he’s worth more.

The thing is I’m happy to pay more, but then I have to charge more.

The more I charge the less jobs I win.

There is a ceiling that most customers don’t want to go above.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are Ltd and VAT registered, it's me plus one FT employee on the tools and my mrs recently has joined us as a co-director she runs the office. So we are small and it's hard to make it work, but the guy I employ is a top bloke and we work our leave around each other. 

He is on £10 per hour with all the employee benefits and gets 45 hours each week minimum. Round here in South Yorkshire that's not bad coin. He gets over time for early starts or late knocks and doesn't get docked for early ones. 

I used to use subbies but hated the stress of having to book them in as I need a second climber everyday. An employee made sense and reduced my stress. Plus come rain or shine he is in the yard on time everyday and never grumbles. He has been with me a year and he doesn't know but we are sitting down in two weeks to discuss a pay rise.

He's good dust and I will work to keep him happy. That's the crux finding someone worth investing in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy2873 said:

It’s getting to a point in the forest where a proper good, experienced felling man who can produce a decent amount of timber is worth min£15-£20 hour self employed. I know a few people paying £170-£200 a day

Very few of these around and the best ones getting old. Good forestry cutters mostly become machine drivers or arb climbers.

with all the walking ,carrying of saws etc over forest terrain and working in remote areas a lot of the time, these guys need to be well paid