Devon - first impressions

Big J

Having lived in Devon for a full 5 days, I think it's important to reflect on my first impressions. These are as follows:

* Everyone is lovely. Friendly, seemingly happy people. We've not met them all yet, but our neighbours up the road have been incredibly welcoming.

* The roads are daft. If they were upgraded to 20th century standard, that would be a huge improvement (let along 21st century). 

* Everyone seem to appreciate a nice trailer. At the local plant hire place, the staff there made a point of coming out to check out the trailer when I came in and then again when I came back, each time complimenting it. 

* Lack of litter. You get used to Central Belt Scotland, where a significant minority of people treat the landscape as an oversized rubbish dump. Very clean here. 

* Loads of stunning houses. I'm the grandson of an architect and married to one too. So many stunning, innovatively designed houses here, making use of natural materials and complimenting their surroundings. 

I shall update on further reflections as I go, but suffice to say we are very happy to be here.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 9

Glad your liking it though J. I think on the whole it isn’t a bad place, like all areas it has its pluses and minuses.

i think you’ll find people have more time for you down here. And I don’t mean for you specifically, but most folk I come accross are quite happy to give you the time of day for a chat etc.  

I like that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Interesting your comment about the roads, i thought they were a good standard when we holidayed there last year, but compared to hertfordshire, anythings better!

I’m pretty sure Lincolnshire’s approach is if it doesn’t have grass growing out of it or have a small koi pond forming it’s good to go

12 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Interesting your comment about the roads, i thought they were a good standard when we holidayed there last year, but compared to hertfordshire, anythings better!

Wait till you get to South Devon, even a friend from Tavistock cringes.

Its what you get used to - if the holidaymakers were capable to stop in the wide places, life would have so much more pleasantness in it.

It's mostly just the tightness and indirect nature of the roads that is bemusing. In Scotland, the roads are mostly fairly large, but riddled with potholes. Here the reverse is true. My sat nav hasn't quite twigged about not taking me on what are mostly paved farm tracks. 

Anyway, having fun, trying to get the house straight whilst entertaining my two young daughters. 

They talk funny down this way Big J huh!       'They' will be saying 'that Scottish fella talks funny'!     With the rural folk you will get used to them referring to You as 'He' or 'Him' and your lady as 'She' or 'Hers'.   I hafta say i love living down here as i spent many years in London afore decamping to the south west. Ps. yer young daughters will be referred to as 'maids'.

Edited by wicklamulla