Muck truck/power barrow

Lee G

hi hired a muck truck several years ago to do a simualer job to what you describe, but ground conditions where quite wet at the time found it hard work and very slow progress with muck truck ,so took the muck truck back to its owner and then hired a one tonne high tip dumper in for a day to compare progress and it was a no brainer one tonne dumper far faster and we could tip straight on to pick up and trailer, all so got the quad and trailer with floatation tyres and does work well but i have to hand ball it off on to pick up, one tonne dumper far better machine for what your doing hire cost about a tenner a day more than a muck truck but about 3 times more production,

20160303_150815.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

You could probably do as much with an arb trolley at a fraction of the cost, or even just a wheelbarrow.  Never seen the point in these things

I have never used a hi lift one,  but often thought they would be useful as it would get big logs onto the truck..

Skip-Loader-Dumper-500kg-Tracked-Tool-Hire.jpg

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

You could probably do as much with an arb trolley at a fraction of the cost, or even just a wheelbarrow.  Never seen the point in these things

no i had both and when distance and heavy timber combined the track barrow kicked ass! and i love the arb trolley. We had to take out a load oh large scotts pine with both the trackbarrow was away. when used as a barrow and not towing it can go forward in 2nd gear and flies. makes a hard tow of the arb trolley easy!.

Was trying to tow the arb trolley but didnt have anything to tie them together or i would have.

7 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

hi hired a muck truck several years ago to do a simualer job to what you describe, but ground conditions where quite wet at the time found it hard work and very slow progress with muck truck ,so took the muck truck back to its owner and then hired a one tonne high tip dumper in for a day to compare progress and it was a no brainer one tonne dumper far faster and we could tip straight on to pick up and trailer, all so got the quad and trailer with floatation tyres and does work well but i have to hand ball it off on to pick up, one tonne dumper far better machine for what your doing hire cost about a tenner a day more than a muck truck but about 3 times more production,

20160303_150815.jpg

Hired in machine looks perfect for the job, just thinking that it's going to be wasted money that could go towards purchasing something. Quad and trailer would be even better but too much of an outlay at the moment. Thinking of adding an arb trolley to the set up so can also tow that around. All ideas, just would it work in practice.

IMG_6510.JPG

+1 for a quad or dumper. Sold my old 4wd Suzuki on eBay for £500, £150 more than I paid for it  and dumper went for £300 more than I bought it for. plenty cheap ones about that will do that job if you are handy and don’t mind rough looking! Trailer kit £150 if you’ve got a welder or new lambing style trailer £500. Keep forever for pennies per year or sell when done and get you’re money back.

5 hours ago, Lee G said:

Hired in machine looks perfect for the job, just thinking that it's going to be wasted money that could go towards purchasing something. Quad and trailer would be even better but too much of an outlay at the moment. Thinking of adding an arb trolley to the set up so can also tow that around. All ideas, just would it work in practice.

IMG_6510.JPG

hi is that a high tip one ? makes life a lot more easier if it is,