Muck truck/power barrow

Lee G

I'm looking for advice or anyone's experiences with any form of power barrows. I need to remove a large amount of timber out of a small woodland, there are only narrow footpaths around the wood so no access for a tractor etc. 

I also want to use it to tow the chipper around the wood to chip up the brash. Woodland is flat and doesn't seem to get that wet. 

The work will be on going for a few months only doing a few days at a time every few weeks.  Options of renting a skid steer every time will be expensive same for a power barrow so I was thinking of buying a second hand one for around £1500 just to help carrying it all out a bit at the time. Not sure if this would work or if you guys have any other ideas?

Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers. 

Edited by Lee G

had one, great for moving a 750 kg chipper around tarmac etc but in woods not so great. works in reverse ( going backwards ) but not forward. Not enough weight.

With the wheel barrow attachment if u can get it on it will haul it but bear in mind its not that big so ur not going to long lenghts on it.

Ive moved 3-4 ft diameter logs on it as long as i could strap on it and the weigth was not a problem.

Sure i paid like £1800 +vat new. 

mine was a track barrow 350.

They threw in a tow hitch too which is great.

give them a call.

16 minutes ago, jose said:

had one, great for moving a 750 kg chipper around tarmac etc but in woods not so great. works in reverse ( going backwards ) but not forward. Not enough weight.

With the wheel barrow attachment if u can get it on it will haul it but bear in mind its not that big so ur not going to long lenghts on it.

Ive moved 3-4 ft diameter logs on it as long as i could strap on it and the weigth was not a problem.

Sure i paid like £1800 +vat new. 

mine was a track barrow 350.

They threw in a tow hitch too which is great.

give them a call.

Where did you get yours from? I've been looking at the wheel version. Hire price is £140 plus vat for a week or an all round bigger better machine for £180 plus vat. Soon going to eat into any profits if I keep hiring over the coming months. 

i bought mine at the Saltec show a few years back.

guy delivered it in the back of a discovery.

if i can ill dig out some pics.

If your going to use it a fair bit over the months weight up total hire cost vs buy use and resale values.

Wheeled or tracked power barrow is a choice to make (I have both)

Tracks will go anywhere, but turning will mark the ground

Wheels are faster, won't rip the grass up when turning, and (esp. on a hard surface) tyres will last longer than tracks.

The genuine muck truck is a great bit of kit, very simple, not much to go wrong.

A walk behind machine will tow, but you usually have to do it in reverse which can be fairly slow!

If there's long distances and money involved then the load capacity will be a problem. If you're just pottering about in your own time, or working in tight spots, then a power barrow is ideal.

I think when I bought my Muck Truck Max it was about 1600 +vat new, probably gone up since

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

Might sound daft, but would it be possible to add a footplate for long, straight runs?

Yes, I’m idle....

You can get larger machines with footplates. The problem would be controls would be at the wrong height, and the added weight of operator!

The walk will do you good :eviltongue: