Agroforestry

Stere

There was a section on countryfile about it in france.

Seems quite radical compared to the UK.

The French government wants 50% of all farms to adopt agroforestry by 2025.

Edited by Stere

It can work well with livestock, even with quite dense cover. Unfortunately the Welsh, and presumably UK, government have made it a condition of all our planting schemes to keep animals out. 

I remember when we used to graze woodland there were flowers everywhere but it's mostly brambles now...

• Like 2

And not only woodland.  Living on the North Downs there is 'chalk downland' ecosystem around here and that is developed and maintained via grazing regime.  The Corporation of London use a small herd of Sussex cattle to manage several locations, including such chalk down about a mile and a half from here.

Based on that Countryfile item I say 'good for the French'.  To have 50% of farms engaging in agroforestry in the next 7 years does seem very ambitious though.  And what's the average term for a government?!

Edited by nepia

From what I understand after attending a meeting about the current funding cycle in Scotland, the sheep and trees initiative is in no way involving having sheep grazing near trees - rather having a large landowner with thousands of acres of sheep farm give a couple of hundred acres to sitka spruce.

So not quite how the average member on here would expect, but rather courting the large landowners.

Of course someone from the government could quite easily say that this is incorrect, however this is very much the way it was spelled out to me.

Absolute bollocks!!!!!
French farmers have been bulldozing hedges for over 30 years.
Still at it.
Kilometres of hedgeless field.
Agroforestry?????????
Complete bullshit!!!!
What advantage in a field of wheat???!
Just more crap forms for stupid subsidies from inept governments.
Whilst real environmental destruction continues.
I'm sorry for the language but it's fucking true.
[emoji51][emoji35]

• Like 3