Have you ever experienced overheating with your stove?

Many people may find it bizarre but overloading your stove with fuel can leading to excessive temperatures which can impact the efficiency of not only the baffle plate, fire bricks and flue but also the stove body itself. Has anyone experienced damage to their stove because of overloading/overheating?

Had it very hot several times, flue thermometer over 400C for a short period.  Stovax Stockton 5 with smoke control kit so it can't be shut down.  It's very easy to send it nuclear. Too much wood, splits a bit too thin, that abnormally knotty/dense or abnormally dry piece, or just leave the vents open for 30 seconds too long after loading and it's going to shoot well past 300C.   Small firebox so it comes down again readily, and had done no damage so far.  It can be a bit nerve wrecking though.

1 hour ago, neiln said:

Had it very hot several times, flue thermometer over 400C for a short period.  Stovax Stockton 5 with smoke control kit so it can't be shut down.  It's very easy to send it nuclear. Too much wood, splits a bit too thin, that abnormally knotty/dense or abnormally dry piece, or just leave the vents open for 30 seconds too long after loading and it's going to shoot well past 300C.   Small firebox so it comes down again readily, and had done no damage so far.  It can be a bit nerve wrecking though.

Is 400c very hot? Never measured our stove but I know our charcoal retort gets far hotter than that without suffering damage.

Never damaged a stove to date from over firing. Excluding damaged fire board which I presume is normal wear and tear.

Buckled mine by leaving it on draw and falling asleep.

That was years ago and I still have the stove. It is the only heating in my living room and must be 35 years old or more. A Yeoman, certainly had my money's worth out of it, or more my Dads money as he bought it all those years ago and wouldn't be surprised if it was second hand then.

Replace the rope now and then and the bricks probably once a decade.

Edited by Peasgood

Iirc steel starts to glow dull red at about 550C and that is getting into damage.  The few times I've exceeded 400 I've likely been close to 450C but given the logarithmic scale on a flue thermometer and it's only a few quid so probably not accurate to 25-50C I don't know exactly how hot it gets.  Top of the efficient range is marked as 290C iirc.  I don't mind a short hot excursion, drives damp/creosote from the flue, but I try not to go past about 350C.  I find staying below 300C with my Stockton, and my own very well seasoned wood, and an 8m lined flue giving a fairly strong suck, not straight forward!