2wd Forest Tractor - Opinions

AndyO

2 hours ago, spandit said:

Was using my Ford 4000 to drag some large oak trunks out of a woodland yesterday. Carrying an 18 foot length on the loader forks was interesting but it coped better than I'd have thought

yes all ok at the moment, but we have the best ground conditions at the moment for about 5 years , would it of done the same job 3 months ago ,  i think to keep going for as long as you can in forestry it has to be 4wd and the differance between 2wd and 4wd is what a old farmer told me years ogo and thats ,its the differance between going and not going, my kubota has not been in 4wd for about 2 month now as what was about 15" of slob is now dust but we kept extracting through feb ,mar and april .

I agree - the area I was dragging the trunks out of was really boggy before. Ground is pretty loose and I dug a few holes in the dust trying to make progress - wouldn't even attempt it in the winter (it's a friend's property and access isn't great - he was asking to borrow my roller but no way of getting it into his field without towing it down the road - it's a ring roller so that wouldn't make me terribly popular with highways...

1 minute ago, spandit said:

it's a ring roller so that wouldn't make me terribly popular with highways...

Never bothered farmers in the past with gang rollers before they got superduper hydraulic folding ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Ring roller should be no issue on the roads.

A
Every one I ever had to pull on the roads was definitely Satan's friend. Never would pull straight, weaving wildly from side to side, at least it saved me having to turn around to see how they were doing, - a glance through the side door and there they'd be happily skidding around. They leave some lovely swirly lines on the road surface though.

Rings must have been badly worn, therefore each ring able to move and so run sideways.
P.S.
Even more fun trying to reverse a set of rolls?
Yep, tried once reversing a set of three. Never knew it was possible to jacknife in so many directions at once
  • Like 1

I think small 2wd will always have a place in small scale forestry. Most of my work is felling for game keepers to create gun tracks, shoot pegs etc. Although we have a big 8210 the double drum lives on the back of the major, it's so easy to wiggle into the tightest of places and, worst case scenario if it decides to lay on its side for a little rest you just rarve it back on its paws, with no broken glass , fancy dashboard in tatters just the usual walk of shame to go get help.

• Like 1