More Badger Stuff

Yournamehere

2 hours ago, Peasgood said:

Ever heard an injured hare?

Anyone that has would agree. The noise they make is indeed very troubling.

Totally agree with that.  I saw a buzzard pick up a leveret for a bout 50 yards, it was screaming and the buzzard dropped it and settled in a tree nearby.  Out of nowhere the mother hare came, I thought to comfort the apparently, little harmed leveret but instead she just jumped over it three times and then went off.  I stayed around with the tractor until dark and there was no sign of a dead leveret the next day

I have heard adult hares scream when wounded, which in fact stopped me ever shooting them again and that was when I was in my teens

Vixens scream as has been said, Blood curdling!

Munjac bark could be nearly a scream but not quite.

Never heard a hedgehog scream or ever seen any evidence around the farm in 50 years of a badger killing one.

The old gamekeepers used to suck the back of their hands to imitate a rabbit screaming to lure stoats and weasels out into the open to shoot them, as they were said to take young game or eggs.  I have done this when I have seen a weasel disappear into a hedge, not to shoot it but just to see if it worked and it does.

I have heard and read but only second hand that a stoat will pursue a rabbit for several hours.  The rabbit will behave eventually in a very disorientated manner and can be seen lolloping through a field full of other rabbits pursued slowly by the stoat.  The other rabbits take no notice as they know they are not on the menu but evntually the pursued rabbit stops and starts screaming even before being attacked as it knows there is no hope.   Nature raw in tooth and............

Barn owls and Tawnys can make blood curdling sounds

Last year my wife and I were awoken by a terrible screaming, which we thought in the end was a pair of Greylag geese seeing off a fox but in the morning we found a dead roe deer on the road which had been hit by a car which had badly broken its back leg.

It was very upsetting to feel that the animal had suffered all that time when we thought that it was something else.  Certainly the most distressing sound I have heard and do not wish to hear again

Thinking a bit more myself and reading throu other replies its probably pretty normal for most prey species to squel/scream when attacked hoping it will scare the attackers off.

When u give a rabbit squek on the back of ur hand its amazing wot will come in to investigate a possible free meal

U can get various calls/screams that u can load onto ur phone to attract various things in for shooting or photography.

I tell u wot when u listen to a lot of them there not that dissimilar to a young baby cryingscreaming, i'm surprised there isn't more urban fox attacks on kids/babies, u hear off odd 1's but thankfully not many.