Removing sycamore tree advice

MicG

Question

Hi, I'm looking to get a very large sycamore tree removed (not the stump) from my not so large garden in Gloucester. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help answer. 

1. What's the best place to find a qualified and competent tree surgeon? I've contacted two listed on the Arboricultural Association site so far. 

2. Is there a good time of year to get it removed? I was thinking of autumn after the leaves have dropped to make things easier for the tree surgeons. 

3. I want to plant a couple of new, more manageable trees either side of the stump, will it be possible to plant anything within 1-2 meters or will the roots prevent this? 

4. I was thinking of planting a couple of apple or crab apple trees. Would this be a good choice for a smaller garden to provide some privacy and shade? 

5. Someone from work is keen to have the wood to burn. Will most tree surgeons happily leave you with chopped up logs? Is this type of request likely to increase the overall price? 

Thanks in advance, 

Mike

Edited by MicG
Forgot to ask a question

I don't think we answered all your questions

1. The tree surgeons on the AA site are all vetted and will be fine. It is also true that lots of very good local tree surgeons are not AA listed, next best thing is a personal recommendation - once you have found somebody ask them what qualifications they have and to see a copy of their insurance as any good firm will be happy with that. Either friends Facebook or neighbourhood websites are places to ask as well.

2. Removal - any time as long as there is no bird nest. Autumn is also much busier for tree surgeons, if you go for it now you might just be in front of the rush.

3. The stump is likely to resprout unless you have it ground out (separate extra cost). Lots of people don't have the stump ground, just cut back the regrowth each year for a few years and it will die off. You can plant in the area, my guess 1m will be tricky but 2m should be OK - don't skimp on the hole though.

4. Apple is always good, a good tree nursery (rather than garden centre) is worth finding for advice because you might as well get one with apples you are going to enjoy eating. Lots of other trees are available on dwarf stock, ornamental for blossom or with interesting foliage. 

5. I leave a lot of timber for logs in 'manageable pieces' (ie lumps I can move it around) as most people getting free wood for a burner will cut and split it into logs themselves. Personally I don't charge extra for that, but if you wanted it logged right down then I would.

Best of luck

Dan

• Like 3

I was just going to add to the firewood point.. if you want the tree surgeon to take away the tree then they have to cut it to lengths that they can carry from the tree to the van. If you ask they will probably make these pieces suitable lengths for firewood - similar amount of work and cost, jut the logs are left at yours and not in the van. You mate can get an axe and split it from there. If you want the wood to be actual logs (as in all you do is dry them and throw them straight onto the fire) then this is more wotk and so costs more. Leaving wood in your garden is just as easy as taking it away.

You could always be ask them for a price to transport the logs to your mates house - probably cheaoper than hiring a van to do it and quicer than throwing them all in the back of your car. Now if your mate would want some wood chip to go onto his garden as well they would love that, dump it all at theirs!