Upgrading timberwolf tw250 chipper suggestions

Green wood

I currently have a timberwolf tw250 chipper. I am looking to upgrade and purchase a new machine going forward. I would appreciate any suggestions in machine choice, of a comparative chipper. I would consider anything of a similar weight and capability, doesn't necessarily have to be twin axle or turntable.

A bit of background on the machine, the 250 is a 10 inch, 2.2 tonne turntable machine mounted on a twin axel, with a 92hp Kubota turbo diesel engine.

I've looked at on paper but no demoed: 

Timberwolf tw350, similar weight, similar dimensions, similar capacity, but only 64hp hatz engine.

Vermeer bc230xl, similar weight, similar dimensions, similar capacity, but only a 67hp cat engine. 

Bandit 90xp, similar in weight, longer in length, wider infeed but similar 9 inch capacity, with a 74hp engine.

TP 275, similar in weight, longer in length, similar capacity, with a 74hp engine.

Has anyone had direct experience of the above machines? or anything else similar, or better still has anyone had a timberwolf tw250 and moved to another machine, if so what machine and how did it compare?

Trying to narrow the market down in the interest of not wasting mine or anyone else's time demoing a machine that isn't suitable. 

Thank you 

We have a bandit 90 and yes it's a big lump of a machine but ours is 85hp perkins, big advantages of this machine over the others you mentioned are top crush which means dealing with bulky brash stuff is much easier and is like having a bigger capacity machine and you can have a over hopper winch mounted which saves so much dragging it's unbeatable.
To me the vermeer looks very top heavy and the hopper is very high to lift heavy stuff into, I like the look of the tp but not a brand I've ever had anything to do with nor the tw350

We have a TW250 and the Vermeer BC230 xl

We demoed the TW 350 and Bandit 90xp

The vermeer has been OK, pretty comparable to the TW250 a little less grunt.. the single axle makes it better for towing and doesn't have the silly low profile tyres the TW250 does.

The 350  was much more expensive than the Vermeer IIRC.

The Bandit feels BIG and looks it behind a 3.5tonner.. The reputation is very good, built to last and most likely to hold its value if that is important, also think less likely to become obsolete as I don't think the design has changed much....

THat is the issue with the 250s, you will struggle for parts.. 

Vermeer service has not been brilliant, parts can be expensive and there can be delays..  

We have also been having issues with Bandits service on our stump grinders so that has made me reconsider using their chippers..

If going for a bandit I would probably consider a bigger machine...

If I was going for TW I would consider a smaller one..  The smaller TW's are way better then they were.. the 230 is was better then the 150 if the TW280 is as good in comparison to the 190 it should be a good machine and it is a big step up in cost to the TW350..

I heard last week TW are discontinuing their large chippers soon, not sure if that’s fact or gossip. I have swapped out half a dozen 250’s & 350’s all for our 12”drum chipper. Incidentally is it our service or the fact we couldn’t repair the remote that is the problem.

Thank you for your replies, and the benefit of your experience, this has probably addressed a few of my thoughts. 

I agree with the tyres Ben, they offer no appreciable difference in hopper feed height and aren't nice on lumps, bumps or rolling off/up edges of kerbs etc.

I like the idea of the top crush Gray, is there anything on your machine in day to day use that stands out as anything that you don't like or could be improved?

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:57, GlobalNewark said:

I heard last week TW are discontinuing their large chippers soon, not sure if that’s fact or gossip. I have swapped out half a dozen 250’s & 350’s all for our 12”drum chipper. Incidentally is it our service or the fact we couldn’t repair the remote that is the problem.

What do you sell more of in the 12 inch drum range, the larger or smaller engine? Is there night and day performance difference between the two engine options of the 990/12xp? Specifically in efficiency of processing busy, bulky material?

What do you sell more of in the 12 inch drum range, the larger or smaller engine? Is there night and day performance difference between the two engine options of the 990/12xp? Specifically in efficiency of processing busy, bulky material?

Our top seller for Seven years running has been the 990xp (now 12xp) fitted with a 74hp T4 final engine, the earlier model had a 84hp T3 engine but we are no longer allowed to import T3 engines. We have sold some larger 122hp machines & currently have some just being built at our depot, there is no other difference except hp but it is a lot of difference but also the biggest cost is in hp. We have never had any complaints ref the smaller engine, it’s just been personal preference. We order the hyd toplift/crush as std figment although it is an option.

On 23/07/2018 at 16:57, GlobalNewark said:

Incidentally is it our service or the fact we couldn’t repair the remote that is the problem.

I don't want to derail this thread.. I have been over it in another thread... and we will be in same position soon with 2 big chippers to replace. So interested in others views.. 

Edited by benedmonds