This guy had a lucky escape

Steve Bullman

A whole catalogue of cause and effects in there, but health and tiredness must be one of the more important ones. We're conditioned now to accept the 'tiredness kills' motto when driving on the roads but refuse to consider its impact at work. Always a case of 'I'll take a break at the next tree, or tank of fuel,whatever. '
Last week I opened up the outer layer of pants across the knee for that very same reason. Once it occurred I knew it was tiredness caused, but had to finish the job. Forced myself to slow down, pay more attention to risks and be more aware.
It happens to us all and we're not indestructible. Luckily the guy in the vid is able to recount clearly what his mistakes were.
Take care, take time.

When you purchase a shiny new Stihl, they unfortunately don't include the skills to fall a big tree in the box with the other accessories.

Glad to hear there was a relatively happy ending to this story!

Edited by Erik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Never heard a hinge  called a "ducks bill"

Pretty sure he was referring  to the gob, not the hinge, but I've never heard that term for either.

I wonder what the cost of his treatment was? and how much he saved by not getting a pro in to fell the trees?

• Like 1

The stumps at the end show he could of taken all the time in the world it still would of wielded the same results .. shame he can’t admit he didn’t know what he was doing and still can’t make the connection.. we forwarded out a load of timber this week off an estate felled by farmers and looking at the stems I was thinking these guys where lucky to have walked out.
I think the NFU should push this point a little more as nearly every serious woodland accident I’ve known has involved a farm worker who has used a saw all his life so apparently that makes them competent but never been assessed to forestry industry standards.

• Like 2

Classic farmer with a chainsaw scenario - right down to the wellies and crappy Stijl! See if all the time hereabouts

No consideration  of TM

No consideration of FL

No consideration of reduction rather than felling

No consideration retaining standing stem

No consideration of replanting

(I didn’t pay enough attention to recall if it was ROI or NI but that’s a technicality). 

Custodians of the countryside - yeah, OK. 

Mention earlier of consequential costs v cost of getting it done properly a very valid point. Especially as costs + VAT could have gone through the books as deductible. 

Entirely avoidable “accident” which rightfully sits in the “stupid” file. 

So who should pay for NHS treatment in a brave new world? Saturday night piss heads? Lard asses? Smokers? Speeders? Junkies? The terminally stupid?

Or should these costs carry on falling to the tax payer???

The guy in the video is an irish farmer, vid is actually produced by teagasc, the irish farm advisory service. Unfortunately regarding trees in the landscape and on private ground, Ireland lags way behind the standards in the UK. Its not uncommon to see roadside trees smashed to f##k by diggers. I've even recently witnessed 2 council workers stood in a jcb bucket smashing off low branches with spades in Cork city !
The attitude is still one of "sure why should I be paying that amount to a tree company, when my brother will do it for a quarter of the price, and we'll have a days fun doing it ".
This is really common place, though attitudes are starting to change a little, helped by vids like this one. However at the moment landowners are far more concerned of being taken to court for litigation reasons arising from risk of roadside trees failing, than of personal risk to themselves by poor practice.