Battery chainsaw recomendation

Big J

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:12, Matthew Storrs said:

I have just bought a Makita battery saw as I had batteries anyway itbonly cost £120 for the bare saw. 

Its no where near as good as the top end husky stuff. Fine for small trees 8” below and the odd overhanging branches but would say it’s too under par for any proper tree work- better for landscape/fencing  type work etc.

the top end Husky saws with the 9ah batteries look very impressive- and they cost similar to a 550xp, I’d get one of these if I was buying again for tree work.

Did you get the one that uses 2 x 18v batteries in a convention saw style? I`ve thought of getting one as we use a lot of their 18v stuff so have lots of batteries.

I`ve tried a Makita with one battery, in the style of a top handle,, wasn't overly impressed with it.

6 hours ago, Craig. said:

Did you get the one that uses 2 x 18v batteries in a convention saw style? I`ve thought of getting one as we use a lot of their 18v stuff so have lots of batteries.

I`ve tried a Makita with one battery, in the style of a top handle,, wasn't overly impressed with it.

Yeah, mine has the two 18v 5ah that work in series. 

The saw itself is a bit weak and has a pretty low chain speed- I wouldn’t recommend it as an alternative to the Husky Stihl offerings if you intend on doing proper tree work with it.

However I had the batteries so for £120 I am pleased with it- I put it in the truck or digger if I know I migh need to do a bit of cutting back, small tree to drop, shape up fencing struts, cutting up landscape timbers etc etc. Just handy to have to hand.

Did anyone else have a real mental block about remembering to put chainsaw oil in. With a petrol saw it’s a given that you run out of fuel and you top up the oil too- but the battery ones just don’t make me think in the same logic. I think it’s just getting my mind muscle memory to click as it’s all new system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Yeah, mine has the two 18v 5ah that work in series. 

The saw itself is a bit weak and has a pretty low chain speed- I wouldn’t recommend it as an alternative to the Husky Stihl offerings if you intend on doing proper tree work with it.

However I had the batteries so for £120 I am pleased with it- I put it in the truck or digger if I know I migh need to do a bit of cutting back, small tree to drop, shape up fencing struts, cutting up landscape timbers etc etc. Just handy to have to hand.

thanks, pretty much thinking of same use myself, I`ve recently had some tools with 5ah batteries, got me thinking about the saw.

14 minutes ago, Stere said:

If you win the lottery:

This bacho one looks good:

bahco-bcl131-cordless-chainsaw.jpg

https://www.heamar.co.uk/stahlwille-hand-tools/72513-bahco-bcl131-cordless-chainsaw-7314150300204.html

No mention of a battery in the blurb and image shows a cord! Over a 1k for a mains chainsaw it's surly a misprint or April fools joke.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1