Battery chainsaw recomendation

Big J

This video convinced me of the merits of a battery saw..

I went for the 536Li as it was on offer for £400 for saw, battery and charger. The BLi200 battery lasts nearly an hour and will easily do your 15 small cuts and single felling day. Battery life is less in cold temperatures, maybe 10-20% less.

Hadn’t seen this video..

Hi,

That's a video using an old MSA 200 battery saw. It's been improved since then (in 2015) with a 25% more powerful motor. The MSA 200 in back to back tests is very similar in cutting speed and performance to a MS 211. 

If you want any info on the MSA 200 then please let us know. It's a very capable battery saw. 

The run time is 3 mins more with AP 300 but you need the AP 300 battery  to get full cutting power/performance out of the saw vs the AP 200. 

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by STIHL GB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Big J said:

With the batteries for the Stihl, the AP 200 is over £40 cheaper than the AP 300, but only gives away 3 minutes of run time. Is there any reason to get the AP 300?

Yes, its 42 mins with AP 200, 45 mins with AP 300 but you need AP 300 to get full performance. That's 1.2kW with AP 200 and 1.8kW with AP 300. 

Edited by STIHL GB
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, woodwizzard said:

Western Power use the makita saws and rate them quite highly.

I have just bought a Makita battery saw as I had batteries anyway itbonly cost £120 for the bare saw. 

Its no where near as good as the top end husky stuff. Fine for small trees 8” below and the odd overhanging branches but would say it’s too under par for any proper tree work- better for landscape/fencing  type work etc.

the top end Husky saws with the 9ah batteries look very impressive- and they cost similar to a 550xp, I’d get one of these if I was buying again for tree work.

• Like 1

I've got the msa200 with 2x ap300 batteries and a fast charger.
It's mental!
Quiet, no exhaust fumes, no petrol/aspen to buy.
The thin blade cuts quickly and cleanly.
Yes you could drop trees with it.
Use mine mainly for the workshop, or small pruning jobs.
Perfect next to a chipper as no starter cord to pull, just chain brake off and cut.
You probably won't need a second battery if you're not on it all day.
Love it.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji3]

• Like 1

Got a couple of Stihl`s to go in the machines a while back, bang on for the odd occasion you need to cut your way out of a cab. Not a replacement for a proper saw but worthwhile keeping one in the cab or truck. Shame they dont make a cig lighter charger for them.

Bob

5D400FD4-E7BE-4ACF-A5DC-8CFB2C775B5E_zps

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Got a couple of Stihl`s to go in the machines a while back, bang on for the odd occasion you need to cut your way out of a cab. Not a replacement for a proper saw but worthwhile keeping one in the cab or truck. Shame they dont make a cig lighter charger for them.

Bob

5D400FD4-E7BE-4ACF-A5DC-8CFB2C775B5E_zps

Glad you like them. Is that the 120 or 140 you have there? We have the MSA 200 as well which packs a little more punch. Battery technology is improving all the time so there's plenty more to come from us..... 

• Like 1

Not so much a recommendation but the fastest looking one I have seen is the Dewalt 

Stumbled across a video and it looked pretty gutsy. He makes a meal of it but the saw cuts well. Suppose they do know a thing or two about cordless tools.