Fastest splitter costing over £ 1500

arboriculturist

We need another splitter for all the oversize timber that won't go through the processor - 95% 10" rings.

It can be PTO or standalone etc.  Auto-return. 8 tonne ram is enough as most is oversize roundwood - no serious knots etc.

Lots of quality machines on the market of course, but most are way too slow.

Any suggestions welcome - ideally needs to be below 4 seconds cycle time on 10" rings. 

No ruling out fitting a hi-spec PTO pump, which could give a higher flow rate than most tractors.

Ryetec are probably worth a call as they'll build to spec. If they're huge rings it might be faster with more power and a 4+ way splitter but that's a trade off with pure speed of course.

It would be interesting to know how much oil flow you could put through a small splitter without causing damage. 

Thanks.

It takes 1 hour / m3 at present to split oversize hard, so you see the need for change.

Processor Tractor only has flow rate of about 20l / min.

4 way splitters never work successfully with oversize rings  > 12" which of course all ours are -  being Processor oversize.

No issues with high flow rate through small rams - apart from cooling due to increased friction.

Larger pipework, larger spool valve, larger reservoir, oil cooler addresses any cooling issues. 

Treequip is the man for this but he doesn't seem to be about today.

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

That is a fair machine ! Thanks

Is yours the CV16 ?

Yes cv16 

Pto so it doesn't matter what tractor oil flow 

There's another video on the manufacturer Web site, with a built-on winch 

_20180721_160223.JPG

37 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Thanks.

It takes 1 hour / m3 at present to split oversize hard, so you see the need for change.

Processor Tractor only has flow rate of about 20l / min.

4 way splitters never work successfully with oversize rings  > 12" which of course all ours are -  being Processor oversize.

No issues with high flow rate through small rams - apart from cooling due to increased friction.

Larger pipework, larger spool valve, larger reservoir, oil cooler addresses any cooling issues. 

Treequip is the man for this but he doesn't seem to be about today.

Ah I hadn't considered the friction as a major factor, I've been tempted to run our 8 ton stake splitter through the valtra which is 180 lpm and see how it goes. 

I think pto is the way to go through, we've got a 40ton ryetec which goes 8 ways for oversize wood and that will easily run on a small tractor, I know ryetec like to use their vintage tractors for demos. They usually have one at the royal Welsh show next week but I'm not sure about this year. 

2 minutes ago, gdh said:

Ah I hadn't considered the friction as a major factor, I've been tempted to run our 8 ton stake splitter through the valtra which is 180 lpm and see how it goes. 

I think pto is the way to go through, we've got a 40ton ryetec which goes 8 ways for oversize wood and that will easily run on a small tractor, I know ryetec like to use their vintage tractors for demos. They usually have one at the royal Welsh show next week but I'm not sure about this year. 

Do you not think is most efficient to run the T 480 at the same time as the splitter to maximise on fuel usage? The 35 should do that with a pto pump splitter operation.

18 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Do you not think is most efficient to run the T 480 at the same time as the splitter to maximise on fuel usage? The 35 should do that with a pto pump splitter operation.

Do you mean off the same tractor? I think the only way to do that would be to run the splitter through the log deck lift pipes.

I tend to wait until we get a stack of 20tons or so of oversize before splitting and put it through the big splitter for billets as a separate job.

The 35x tractor probably would run the 8ton but that's only used for making stakes and I think the cost of converting to pto (it's only hydraulic couplings and the 35 hasn't got working ones) would cancel any gains.