Fastest splitter costing over £ 1500

arboriculturist

On 21/07/2018 at 18:56, difflock said:

I used to hire a 13 tonne Thor road towable(petrol engined) splitter, it was very slow and the splitting wedge constantly broke the roll pin that secured it, due to pure poor design, from hazy recall.

I really like my 17 tonne  PTO Krpan though, plenty fast enough splitting on tickover revs and with the auto return the splitter has retracted by the time I have the next log in-situ.

I find the single splitter much more useful than the 4 way head that was also part of the kit.

marcus

P.S.

Just to add, with no malice toward Krpan intended,

BUT I can only presume Krpan knowingly save pennies on stuff like the quality of the hydraulic ram plating,

as mine from relatively early days started pitting,

mostly due to the valve block leaking and allowing the ram to lower itself under the pull of gravity.

It has however ALWAYS been stored under cover.

mth

44 minutes ago, difflock said:

P.S.

Just to add, with no malice toward Krpan intended,

BUT I can only presume Krpan knowingly save pennies on stuff like the quality of the hydraulic ram plating,

as mine from relatively early days started pitting,

mostly due to the valve block leaking and allowing the ram to lower itself under the pull of gravity.

It has however ALWAYS been stored under cover.

mth

You may have been unlucky. Mine is still spot on with almost no rust anywhere even though it has to live outside at times

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking into vertical splitters at the moment, 20t+ ideally. Wanting to run it on 3ph but on all makes the electric models split speed is at least half that of the PTO version. Anyone shed any light as to why? Seems crackers to even offer it as an option when it's so much drastically slower than the PTO option.

The ideal splitter for our use is the pezzolato vs60 but at over 11k it's just unrealistic, I could fabricate our own version of it for half the money but not having it CE marked further down the line is a worry if i need to put an employee on it.

1 hour ago, SbTVF said:

Looking into vertical splitters at the moment, 20t+ ideally. Wanting to run it on 3ph but on all makes the electric models split speed is at least half that of the PTO version. Anyone shed any light as to why? Seems crackers to even offer it as an option when it's so much drastically slower than the PTO option.

The ideal splitter for our use is the pezzolato vs60 but at over 11k it's just unrealistic, I could fabricate our own version of it for half the money but not having it CE marked further down the line is a worry if i need to put an employee on it.

Surely you would be far better off changing to a larger capacity processor.

The cost of labour to have someone stand at a splitter for days on end in no longer financially viable.

Surely you would be far better off changing to a larger capacity processor.

The cost of labour to have someone stand at a splitter for days on end in no longer financially viable.
Don't do the volume to warrant it otherwise that'd be the first thing we did. Even if we spent the extra money on a tajfun 480 I'd still end up with almost the same amount of oversize to deal with. There are not many 16-19" logs in my oversize pile. Most of it 20" plus. But I'm only talking maybe 25t a year of over 16" in total currently.

Thinking I'm better off with a vertical split so the straightest oversize can be billeted and put through the processor and the knotty stuff ringed and split on the table.

8 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

Don't do the volume to warrant it otherwise that'd be the first thing we did. Even if we spent the extra money on a tajfun 480 I'd still end up with almost the same amount of oversize to deal with. There are not many 16-19" logs in my oversize pile. Most of it 20" plus. But I'm only talking maybe 25t a year of over 16" in total currently.

Thinking I'm better off with a vertical split so the straightest oversize can be billeted and put through the processor and the knotty stuff ringed and split on the table.

Ah, fair enough. It looked like you did a few 100t a year.

In that case the fastest is the Ryetec  CV16 followed by the Kerpan. No a major issue to fit 3ph motor to run the PTO driv, a decent Ag. engineer will be capable of that.

Ah, fair enough. It looked like you did a few 100t a year.

In that case the fastest is the Ryetec  CV16 followed by the Kerpan. No a major issue to fit 3ph motor to run the PTO driv, a decent Ag. engineer will be capable of that.

We do do that amount but it's getting harder to get anything of a decent size. We usually just get whole trees, branches and all rather than graded loads so the size is heavily weighted towards the smaller diameter! Had 75t of sub 10" Birch in the stuff we've just done. Makes nice logs but slow going.

My question was as much, why are they are fitting electric motors that can't provide equal power to the pump as the PTO pump can?

2 hours ago, SbTVF said:

We do do that amount but it's getting harder to get anything of a decent size. We usually just get whole trees, branches and all rather than graded loads so the size is heavily weighted towards the smaller diameter! Had 75t of sub 10" Birch in the stuff we've just done. Makes nice logs but slow going.

My question was as much, why are they are fitting electric motors that can't provide equal power to the pump as the PTO pump can?

The demand is just not there for them to treat that as a priority. Wont the tractor hydraulics be up to running a decent splitter or possibly fit a pto pump - this topic has been covered in detail on previous threads. Or fit you own 3 phase motor, it's not rocket science as they say ?

2 hours ago, SbTVF said:

You would be needing a big old motor. Our 55hp tractor stalls with tough wood on eco. So an equivalent power is 41kw motor Say electric at 15 p per kWh (don't know what 3 phase costs) That's £6 per hour in electric. I can run our tractor all day on less than £6 of red.