Fastest splitter costing over £ 1500

arboriculturist

They look like great machines and one of very few that turn larger wood into saleable log sizes. So many amazing looking splitters making logs only suitable for large biomass boilers. Only down side of splitta I saw at a demo was you do get quite a bit of smaller kindling sized bits from the edges of the log. Do you sieve these out or just let them go in with the logs? 

arboculturist 
If you are serious about a Krpan you are welcome to pop up and give it a demo

Most of the small bits drop through the gap between the machine and outfeed, i have made a cleaner which works well so really the bits that are left are welcome by customers as they use for starting, for me i would never go back to a manual hydraulic splitter it feels like they take too much time to fill a bag and you have to be there and concentrate, the splitta has completely changed the way we work and the quality of the product has proved to be the most consistent of all machines over the past 6 years, we can feed anything in the one end and get good logs out the other without thinking about it, it’s regular that the phone rings with a log order while chopping and the machine will carry on while i take the order, mine is the older 360 model but it takes 400 dia, it’s built like a tank, and does kindling too which is selling well, i bought both of the machines second hand, the payback time was just a few days on the one machine and a few months on the more expensive one, the one needed a bit of work but it’s a basic machine that’s easy to cut bits off and weld new bits on, this year i have dried the rounds before we feed through in a hope to avoid having to dry kindling in the bags, see how that goes !
  • Like 2

Just bought Champion this summer https://cozzy.org/best-log-splitter/ My neighbor and I were very impressed with the many features that make this splitter above the rest. I am still amazed by how the pump will adjust its speed on how fast to split each log making it very efficient and effective. The only thing I was concerned about before purchasing was the reviews of people complaining about having trouble starting the engine. I can tell you I am guessing Champion has changed something because this engine of mine starts first time, every time. I have split about 4 cords of wood being mainly ash and elm which were both freshly cut down and this splitter had no problem what so ever. My son, who pick out the largest log he could find, said if this thing can split this he would be impressed. I can tell you after splitting the log both me and my son were both amazed by how easy this splitter when through the log.

19 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I thought a table was an option on the Posch.  

The Krpan one was too small and low but easily rectified with a packer and a big sheet of steel.

I'll troll through the online catalogue again and look for the table options.

I am quite keen on the Posch range and Wilson's have always looked after me with their Processors. 

The 25t machine is mega fast and with a 14" knife would take some beating.

37 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I'll troll through the online catalogue again and look for the table options.

I am quite keen on the Posch range and Wilson's have always looked after me with their Processors. 

The 25t machine is mega fast and with a 14" knife would take some beating.

Strange as there is nothing obvious on their page. They used to for sure as I just met this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/posch-log-splitter-pto-driven-tractor-john-deere-massey-ferguson-/142830807083?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=go0OidREkBuSNGAL7AWORKj%2FAkY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

13 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Thanks for that post. The only one that's fast enough is the twin ram 24T Turbo - may come with a hefty price tag.

What amazes me it takes the same HP as the Processor.

I need to actually find some timber now ! - nothing Hardwood in Devon or Cornwall whatsoever that I know of after asking everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 09:12, arboriculturist said:

Is that the   -   Posch 35T SplitMaster Log Splitter  ? Thanks

No,   this one here:

https://www.posch.com/en/p/hydrocombi-20/

I dont use the standard roller two way head that it comes with but use the older design wedge that has a 4 way that just clips over it,  so on and off in seconds.

A

11 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

No,   this one here:

https://www.posch.com/en/p/hydrocombi-20/

I dont use the standard roller two way head that it comes with but use the older design wedge that has a 4 way that just clips over it,  so on and off in seconds.

A

Yes, that was a good machine. 

They have a couple of upgraded Turbo models that give a faster cycle time.

I would prefer not to use a table splitter at all, buy as we always have some oversize roundwood we seem to spend days on the splitter.

I've asked Posch if they will fit a larger capacity pump in the factory to increase cycle speed needs to be 300mm/sec splitting and return speed.