Fastest splitter costing over £ 1500

arboriculturist

I used to hire a 13 tonne Thor road towable(petrol engined) splitter, it was very slow and the splitting wedge constantly broke the roll pin that secured it, due to pure poor design, from hazy recall.

I really like my 17 tonne  PTO Krpan though, plenty fast enough splitting on tickover revs and with the auto return the splitter has retracted by the time I have the next log in-situ.

I find the single splitter much more useful than the 4 way head that was also part of the kit.

marcus

53 minutes ago, difflock said:

I used to hire a 13 tonne Thor road towable(petrol engined) splitter, it was very slow and the splitting wedge constantly broke the roll pin that secured it, due to pure poor design, from hazy recall.

I really like my 17 tonne  PTO Krpan though, plenty fast enough splitting on tickover revs and with the auto return the splitter has retracted by the time I have the next log in-situ.

I find the single splitter much more useful than the 4 way head that was also part of the kit.

marcus

Any idea what the 17t Krpan cost now?

IMG_3184.jpgIMG_3187.jpg
If you have got a big enough pile then you could hire one of these in from Fuelwood, they are automatic, do come up for sale now and again, can honestly say it’s the best bit of kit we have found, takes upto 14 inch dia but you can take a 28 inch ring and knock it in half, feed ok flat side down, have not used my 13 ton thor since having this, it really does fill a bag in 5 mins or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

IMG_3184.jpgIMG_3187.jpg
If you have got a big enough pile then you could hire one of these in from Fuelwood, they are automatic, do come up for sale now and again, can honestly say it’s the best bit of kit we have found, takes upto 14 inch dia but you can take a 28 inch ring and knock it in half, feed ok flat side down, have not used my 13 ton thor since having this, it really does fill a bag in 5 mins or so.

They look like great machines and one of very few that turn larger wood into saleable log sizes. So many amazing looking splitters making logs only suitable for large biomass boilers. Only down side of splitta I saw at a demo was you do get quite a bit of smaller kindling sized bits from the edges of the log. Do you sieve these out or just let them go in with the logs? 

arboculturist 

If you are serious about a Krpan you are welcome to pop up and give it a demo

21 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

They look like great machines and one of very few that turn larger wood into saleable log sizes. So many amazing looking splitters making logs only suitable for large biomass boilers. Only down side of splitta I saw at a demo was you do get quite a bit of smaller kindling sized bits from the edges of the log. Do you sieve these out or just let them go in with the logs? 

arboculturist 

If you are serious about a Krpan you are welcome to pop up and give it a demo

That's a kind offer.

Actually I found an old 2015 video of yours on youtube and its very clear to see that is a great, pretty swift machine!

We have 2 splitters that I think we will sell on, as we get much more oversize roundwood these days as well as our tree surgery arisings.

I plan to have a conversation with  Interfluid hydraulics at Gunnislake. They have fulfilled some challenging requests from me in the past.

The aim is to run the processor and splitter off the same tractor.

This means buying a Splitter without the pump and installing a quality live drive cast iron pto pump and additional flow control valve, which allows you to regulate oil flow rate to the splitter regardless of engine revs.

Oil temperature is the main consideration and this has to be managed, starting at the design and component selection stage.

Looking for a large step up in efficiency, which is 100% achievable. 

Edited by arboriculturist