Replanting Under Sycamore

7 minutes ago, adamelder said:

My feeling exactly. Unfortunately the Council tree officer isn't in agreement.

That's what the system of 'Appeal' should address - Put this to the TO 1st. In my experience they are not keen to devote resources in that direction unless they have a reasonable chance of success.

Stand your ground - They are in a weak position, as his recommendations are not aligned to good woodland management practice in any shape or form.

I wonder what personal experience this TO has in Woodland management ?

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

That's what the system of 'Appeal' should address - Put this to the TO 1st. In my experience they are not keen to devote resources in that direction unless they have a reasonable chance of success.

Stand your ground - They are in a weak position, as his recommendations are not aligned to good woodland management practice in any shape or form.

I wonder what personal experience this TO has in Woodland management ?

My plan is to wait until the arboriculturist is back from his holiday and see if he can contact the tree officer to find a middle ground between felling the lot and felling nothing. As I mentioned earlier I've got 28 days to lodge an appeal - my guy is back from holiday in 10 days so we've got a bit of time to work out what to do.

I've got nothing against sycamores but I do know that planting underneath them is a pretty futile exercise.

So the  TO wants u to underplant without any  thinning/felling at all?

I'd say it wil be almost a complete waste of time, very few shrubs or trees will thrive under it, (got a small woodland with areas of mature sycamore having the exact same problems)

If the TO allowed some thinning each year it wouldn't take u that long to seriously thin them out.

The other thing is would the TO ever know if u thinned a few out every now and again over the next 5 years? Is he ever likely to do a random inspection?

Is there any public access or anyone likely to complain?

Is there any stewardship schemes say for butterfiles etc u could sign up to as i imagine they would want the old glade back.

Looks like it could be a really nice woodland with a bit of work.

• Like 1

drinksloe,

Tree Officer wants no thinning or tree removal whatsoever. My woodland has residential neighbours, most of whom are fine but as ever there are one or two. I've got one who is insistent that four of my trees are going to fall on his house and has written to the council demanding their removal - despite two arborist reports stating that they are in no danger of toppling anytime soon. But of course, the same guy complained to the council when I asked for removal of the invasive sycamore. 

So discreetly removing a couple of trees at a time would be a non-starter and obviously with sizeable fines for breaching a TPO I'm reluctant to take the risk.

The rest of the wood is fantastically beautiful and I want to keep it that way hence the desire to contain the sycamore population.

aaawood.jpg

• Like 1

Aye i totally get where ur coming from, there always seems to be 1 or 2 that have to get invloved in everything.

Best not to upset the TO in that case, i thought if it was in middle of nowhere with no public access u could quitely remove a few over years bt not really the case here.

Wots the wee cabin in the woods? An old woodsmans hut? Looks quite nice

Be brilliant to develop/renovayte into a wee wknd getaway

• 1 month later...

I appealed the Tree Officer's decision. A few days later I got a call from the Tree Officer (this is the first time I've ever spoken with him. He hadn't returned any of my calls) asking to meet to see if we could find common ground. So we met up, had a chat and I agreed to reduce the number of trees to come out in the first phase of removal from 14 to 9. His feeling is that little and often is the route of least resistance.

Everybody's happy. 

It's just a shame I had to instigate an appeal to get communication going.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2018 at 11:54, arboriculturist said:

Selectively thin, removing poor trees ( form, defects etc)

If you are planning on phasing out the sycs and this is not being done for timber..  fell the good ones and leave the poor ones.. Better habitat that way.. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...