Replanting Under Sycamore

Anyone got any advice on this? I would ask the consultant who wrote my report but he is abroad for three weeks. I'm considering appealing the tree officer's decision and need to do that within 28 days.

I had a Management Recommendation Report prepared by a very well experienced and respected arboricultural consultant on my woodland which is covered by TPO. Within the wood there has historically been a gladed area which over the last 30 years has succumbed to invasive sycamore - about 60 mature trees. This is now spreading outwith the originally gladed area into the rest of the wood which has a very diverse species spread.

The report recommends removal of the sycamore and replanting with a diverse mix of native hardwood. 

I applied to my local Council to carry out the sycamore removal and replant as per the report. The tree officer has rejected this and has stated,

"While long term management of a woodland previous devoid of pro active action is supported the complete removal of a single species in this instance is not. There are many silvicultural systems to allow continous cover on a site while sensitive planting of alternative species could be undertaken to diversify species. The proposed planting could be undertaken over a phased period to allow successful establishment and age distribution."

The sycamore area (about1/4 acre) is very dense with trees ranging from about 40 years down to seedling size.

Does anyone know of any silivicultural system that will work, allowing me to diversify the species mix within the sycamore area - without felling any existing sycamore?

No point imo underplanting  new trees under shade from sycamore, unless a decent size clearing is made as they won't grow well.

Never seen a hazel or hawthorn surrounded in centre of a wood by other taller trees than didn't look half dead as they are out completed for light.

Hazel all locally grow in woods that are ususally a monculture 80% hazel maybe with a few  larger "standard" trees dotted about not mixed in surrounded with taller trees.

Im no expert though but  have seen alot of money wasted imo on planting schemes were 100's of trees are planted in shade of larger trees and majority just die or never grow.

Also even when a wood is full of natural regen why do they insist on planting new trees with plastic guards. (Different maybe if you have deer etc & no natural regen)

Imo best would be just maybe too  thin the sycamore & selectively weed out sycamore regen (leaving any regen form other species) to stop them spreading more.

If you did clear sycmore & replant with other species would  the stumps need to be poisoned or removed (expensive), as if not removed they would  out grow and shade out, the new trees planted (or I suppose you could keep cutting them back repeatedly)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Planting under closed canopy - of course forget it.

Selective thinning if done correctly serves to allow significantly more light into the Woodland.

The point being that the sycamore will respond to the increased space from a heavy crown thinning more than a new planting will, which means more intervention needed during establishment.

If it were a glade 30 years ago and the sycamores are still growing...

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The point being that the sycamore will respond to the increased space from a heavy crown thinning more than a new planting will, which means more intervention needed during establishment.

If it were a glade 30 years ago and the sycamores are still growing...

By selective thinning it was in the context of 'whole tree thinning' - apologies perhaps I should have made that clear.

8 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

By selective thinning it was in the context of 'whole tree thinning' - apologies perhaps I should have made that clear.

Yes we were talking about the same thing, crown thinnings in forestry is when you free off the crowns by removing more than thin and suppressed stems, so also taking co dominant trees , what you need to create gaps is selective felling.

I can't offer any advice but have a couple of questions.

Do you really wish to remove the sycamore, I'm seriously thinking about planting some if all my ash succumbs to Chalara.

Having said that the young sycamore around here don't grow well as it's very heavily damaged by grey squirrels.

You say the area was a gladed area, any chance of being allowed to restore the clearing and then plant up with what you fancy later?

Here's a few pictures of the area I'm talking about. It's surrounded by another 6 acres of woodland which has a very diverse mix of hardwoods and some very large conifer. It was probably originally planted as an ornamental woodland.

My concern is that this area of sycamore is liable to spread unless tightly managed and is so heavily covered that any planting within the sycamore group is destined to fail.

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

peel wood ruin 3 (2).jpg