General shortage?

Old Mill Tree Care

5 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

The north is poor.
Wages are shit.
Been offered £50-£80 a day subbing. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
That's why I travelled 600+miles a week to earn a decent wage.
Started with local council two weeks ago ,highly trained and experienced guys on £23k gross. That's it.
Down south you'd be asking £30-£40k.
I'll be moving back south in a year or two.
emoji51.png

This is true, but I don't know if tree work is cheaper. I.e if your running the show you still can make good money. Especially if your paying the lads 50 quid a day.

I don't really know if I price stuff cheap medium or expensive though. 

It's funny reading through comments on this thread because here I am in Devon, competent, I charge £150 a day, I am almost always first on site and last to leave, I work my boots off, I have very high standards, I always work on until the whole team is finished, not just until I'm on the ground, I'm passionate about my work, I have quality kit and yet I am scraping around trying to find work with an ever dropping fitness level because I spend my life trimming privet hedges and strimming banks!

I think it might be time to move to another part of the country!

• Like 2

Agreed, thats not enough for 10 years experience

I agree Steve but if a firm can’t charge the client enough to pay the better wages, it ain’t happening. There’s a limit to how much a client will pay because of:
Public perception of tree surgeon/glorified gardener [emoji849].
There’s always a college leaver who’ll do it cheap.
There’s always a new clueless start up who’ll do it cheap.
There’s always a gypo who’ll do it cheap.

Without a really tough regulating system to push out all of the aforementioned, it’s never going to change.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another actor is the relativity low start up costs required,coupled with the simplicity of the vast majority of jobs.

You just don't need to invest alot or know alot to get going,any gear you dont have you can hire as well as hire in competence. 

• Like 1

Another actor is the relativity low start up costs required,coupled with the simplicity of the vast majority of jobs.
You just don't need to invest alot or know alot to get going,any gear you dont have you can hire as well as hire in competence. 
That's it though, in the recent past, my very good mate and I were brought in for a Beech Dismantle, and I overheard the Foreman/head groundy say to the boss, 'they are making you look so professional '. We got a two day priced job done by lunchtime, and we only walked away with our day rates, £150 each.

That's it though, in the recent past, my very good mate and I were brought in for a Beech Dismantle, and I overheard the Foreman/head groundy say to the boss, 'they are making you look so professional '. We got a two day priced job done by lunchtime, and we only walked away with our day rates, £150 each.
That's pretty much the craic though when you subby isn't it? I only seem to subby sporadically rather than very regular but it often seems that the subby pace is different to people who do 5 days a week for a firm. Defs Not saying they don't graft hard, but there is or can be something about the irregular and insecure nature of subby work which drives you to sweat it.

It's hard that feeling when you ace a job and know you just made someone else a load richer!
  • Like 2

That's pretty much the craic though when you subby isn't it? I only seem to subby sporadically rather than very regular but it often seems that the subby pace is different to people who do 5 days a week for a firm. Defs Not saying they don't graft hard, but there is or can be something about the irregular and insecure nature of subby work which drives you to sweat it.

It's hard that feeling when you ace a job and know you just made someone else a load richer!
Hit the nail on the head there Billie the amount of times I get asked to slow down or come out of the tree for a bit the job is going a bit fast I have lost count it defo is that pace difference between employed and subbys
  • Like 1