General shortage?

Old Mill Tree Care

Maybe it's because our job is harsh, extremely dangerous, dirty, smelly, and compared to most trades it's really badly paid.
Hire em and fire em, short sighted patronage, macho bollox et al.
On a positive note, look at beechwood's ad. That's tempting.
£50 and a curly wirly a day can go ...
[emoji12][emoji106]

• Like 6

No job* undertaken with any knowledge or forethought, perhaps excepting bomb disposal, should be "extremely dangerous", or simply put, you are doing it "wrong".

I do agree with the physically demanding and exposure to the elements stuff, never mind the mucho-macho bollocks though.

marcus

* i.e. deep sea diving

• Like 2

I know a few building labourers on £150+ a day (that's in rural west wales),  tree work is years behind on its economic growth, but noone is going to start charging more out of fear of losing the quotes.

As an 18 year old, labour on a site/learn a trade for 100+ a day or drag brash and get passively bullied for the next 5 years until I've earnt my right to put a harness on for £55 a day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a young (22), hardworking and eager tree surgeon in training (2 and a half years in the trade now), I gotta say that the reason i stick with the job despite opportunities for better pay elsewhere is simply because i enjoy it. I'm outside working in nature, i get to play with big noisy machines, I'm somewhere new almost every day and the guys i work with are all good chaps! Also i grew up in Lowestoft so am well versed in casual sarcastic insults making up about 70% of conversation :-P
Tis a shame that i appear to belong to an increasingly rare breed these days...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jamallio96 said:

As a young (22), hardworking and eager tree surgeon in training (2 and a half years in the trade now), I gotta say that the reason i stick with the job despite opportunities for better pay elsewhere is simply because i enjoy it. I'm outside working in nature, i get to play with big noisy machines, I'm somewhere new almost every day and the guys i work with are all good chaps! Also i grew up in Lowestoft so am well versed in casual sarcastic insults making up about 70% of conversation ?
Tis a shame that i appear to belong to an increasingly rare breed these days...

Move to Surrey and I’ll give you great employment. Although maybe not enough sarcasm for you as we’re all dead posh down here. ?

I think a big part of it is that a lot of youngsters don’t appreciate the mental benefits of a job that is both rewarding and sometimes challenging.
Maybe that’s why so many late starters (30/40+) are attracted to the industry?

jamallio96 the Lowestoft remark made me chuckle as I spent much of my teenage years in Lowie, ya gotta b motivated to get out[emoji12]

• Like 2

I think a big part of it is that a lot of youngsters don’t appreciate the mental benefits of a job that is both rewarding and sometimes challenging.
Maybe that’s why so many late starters (30/40+) are attracted to the industry?

jamallio96 the Lowestoft remark made me chuckle as I spent much of my teenage years in Lowie, ya gotta b motivated to get out[emoji12]
Hehe, gotta say Lowestoft really is the arzehole of England, but it does teach ya a few things :-P currently living and working in North Pembrokeshire, very few places I'd rather be! Though i do seem to end up coming across as a bit of a meanie sometimes, these softies cannae take a joke!
  • Like 1

Move to Surrey and I’ll give you great employment. Although maybe not enough sarcasm for you as we’re all dead posh down here. [emoji12]
Thank you very much for the offer! Though I'm not in any hurry to leave SW Wales at the minute, it's bloody gorgeous here! You'd probably just end up kicking me out once you got tired of the ceaseless sarcasm, old man style cynicism and frequent terrible puns though xD
  • Haha 1

And@Timbernut, i totally agree with the first part of your post - i don't understand why people wouldn't love the job! I get to spend every day outside in (usually) beautiful countryside, doing a fun, interesting job that is at the same time physically and mentally challenging - what better way to earn a wage could a fella wish for?!

• Like 1