General shortage?

Old Mill Tree Care

I’m not referring to a person of below average height in the Army.

There appears to be a shortage of available staff, professional, qualified, useless or other.

I’ve been looking for ages with two threads on the employment forum here and adverts elsewhere, with very little interest.

I’m in desperate need of anyone who is competent.

The only two enquiries during the last two months gave me the impression that I had to move my business to their mums house and make breakfast before they’d scrape themselves off the mattress, to update their social media.

Anyway, I just wondered if it’s coincidental or is there a general shortage of people at this time?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m the same, have always struggled. I get three types, ones that completely lie about their ability and experience. Your not a climber if you can’t get off the ladders.
Hollywood climbers that expect £250 a day and will only do nice easy jobs and refuse to ground once the tree is down.
The third is young lads that can’t or don’t want to graft.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Old Mill Tree Care said:

I’m not referring to a person of below average height in the Army.

There appears to be a shortage of available staff, professional, qualified, useless or other.

I’ve been looking for ages with two threads on the employment forum here and adverts elsewhere, with very little interest.

I’m in desperate need of anyone who is competent.

The only two enquiries during the last two months gave me the impression that I had to move my business to their mums house and make breakfast before they’d scrape themselves off the mattress, to update their social media.

Anyway, I just wondered if it’s coincidental or is there a general shortage of people at this time?

We are all in the same boat Al, most of them spend all day on twitterbook or facetube, do the bare minimum  and will jump ship for a fiver a day.  The colleges are pumping them out full of tickets and failing to teach them any work ethics , often wonder what the drop out rate would be if the first few days at college were spent dragging brash up a steep bank on a hot day. Access to bank of mum and dad does not help either, we get loads of no shows followed by a pathetic call from a parent over a runny nose. There is  no need or want to work amongst the majority of nippers these days and its leaving a huge hole in the skills market, we then wonder why we have to rely on foreign labour :bash:

Bob

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

The colleges are pumping them out full of tickets and failing to teach them any work ethics , often wonder what the drop out rate would be if the first few days at college were spent dragging brash up a steep bank on a hot day.

Bingo!

I used to teach the database modules at a local college and all the kids wanted to know was how much a database administrator could earn, they would turn up late and get upset when I had a go at them. They all knew their rights, but not interested in commitment and responsibilities.

I think it starts at home and at school, by the time they are 15 they are usually too busy trying to impress their friends rather than get on with it. Like all aspects of life there are exceptions, but it's not easy to find them.

The CV never reads  'I'm an idle little twat who will do the minimum I can get away with but my Dad says I'm a good kid'

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It’s not too hard to see why, no digs at anyone but see what a CSCS card and a dumper ticket can make you at the moment.. compare that to your average arb job and that’s the answer. Of all the trades and skilled jobs this seems to be the only industry that gets cheaper by the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its the same here, I could do a hell of a lot more with someone good with me and make a good living for the employee too but instead turn plenty work down. Its not worth the hassle/dissapointment/time wasted to even advertise anymore so make do with current 57 year old who will work hard as good ethic but is blind/deaf/not interested in learning and shall we say not exactly customer friendly and the kids when they can be arsed to get £8/hr cash in hand off me. 18 year old prefers to do a shift at the local hotel for £6/hr and not get dirty and 16 year old would rather be on his xbox when its 30 degrees outside and make do with no money! Hope they get good jobs after uni or they'll come unstuck.

Think where possible better kit and plenty of it to minimise labour where possible is where i'm heading but diverse workload so it's possible. Full time one job only crew would be hard to manage and i don't fancy that at all.