How will this stand on insurance paying out

spuddog0507

3 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

He wants to be pleased it didn’t hit a person! The rest of it is metal and wood and can be replaced.
I think they will pay out then decide if it’s worth chasing him for the money

from what he tells me if it had gone to the left tree would of been over wall in to the road YES i to think he was very lucky no persons or any thing on the public highway was hit or damaged, seen some photos of the said tree it aint small by any means and its one of those situations where 5 mins extra thinking time about the job, and not rushing to get done home, showered, tea then pub because football is on that extra 5 mins could of saved alot of time and hassell in my eyes, 

7 hours ago, Mesterh said:

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

We allways see posts that your insurance comment won't pay out if you don't have x, y and z. We allways see posts saying that insurance does pay out from members talking from experience. I don't think I have ever read a post saying that their insurance company has refused to pay out due to not having the correct certs etc.

Has anyone ever had first hand experience of an insurance company not paying out due to lack of certs or paying out but recovering the costs?

yea someone told me if i had an accident doin tree's my insurance wouldn't pay because i don't have any tickets..

makes sense to me if they offered me insurance they better pay out if i need it..  

2 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Say what??????

typos lol   ive seen people using high lift wedges etc and hitting them to hard too fast and snap the trunk of the hindge and it going sidewards instead of tap tap tap wait a second tap tap etc and etc some just go whack whack whack

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Benny4817 said:

typos lol   ive seen people using high lift wedges etc and hitting them to hard too fast and snap the trunk of the hindge and it going sidewards instead of tap tap tap wait a second tap tap etc and etc some just go whack whack whack

Still no idea what you talking about, how on earth can hitting wedges "too hard" or "too fast" possible "snap the trunk off the hinge" ??? 

I think he means that when you whack a wedge in the tree doesn’t lift instantaneously, it takes a few moments for the fibre to get in order to give it a bit of tip.

If, on a perilously thin hinge, you pound in too many, too fast you can lift/break the hinge rendering it pointless, so the tree is free to fall where it wants.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think he means that when you whack a wedge in the tree doesn’t lift instantaneously, it takes a few moments for the fibre to get in order to give it a bit of tip.

If, on a perilously thin hinge, you pound in too many, too fast you can lift/break the hinge rendering it pointless, so the tree is free to fall where it wants.

I find that very hard to believe ?

22 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Still no idea what you talking about, how on earth can hitting wedges "too hard" or "too fast" possible "snap the trunk off the hinge" ??? 

ive seen it done many times and ive even done so my self when it did not matter why it landed no targets etc    its happens more when you are felling just with wedges   you effectively lift the trunk up which can snap it off the hindge it dose happen quicker when people dont leave enough hindge or dont make a big enough gob as they say   it may not have happened to you or you may not have seen it   but as i said ive seen this many time when people trying to rush and also more often when not used in conjunction with a pulling rope

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Benny4817 said:

ive seen it done many times and ive even done so my self when it did not matter why it landed no targets etc    its happens more when you are felling just with wedges   you effectively lift the trunk up which can snap it off the hindge it dose happen quicker when people dont leave enough hindge or dont make a big enough gob as they say   it may not have happened to you or you may not have seen it   but as i said ive seen this many time when people trying to rush and also more often when not used in conjunction with a pulling rope

I'm still not buying it. I reckon there must have been something wrong with the cuts. I've wedged over plenty of trees, normally with steel wedges, I've had them go so solid that it feels like your hitting concrete!! and the smack is ringing out for miles, never had a hinge fail.

If you cut correctly, the wedge may not get it over, but the tree will just sit tight till a line is thrown up, IME.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, skyhuck said:

I'm still not buying it. I reckon there must have been something wrong with the cuts. I've wedged over plenty of trees, normally with steel wedges, I've had them go so solid that it feels like your hitting concrete!! and the smack is ringing out for miles, never had a hinge fail.

If you cut correctly, the wedge may not get it over, but the tree will just sit tight till a line is thrown up, IME.

Simple physics really.

dead timber. Fibres have lost tensile strength. One side of hinge weaker than the other. Can go sideways?