Climbing dead trees ? Any bad stories??

essexjack

Climbed plenty I didn’t feel comfortable climbing without incident.

probably the worst thing I did was up a dead horse chestnut. I was keen to get the top out ASAP to give a false sense of security maybe.  The tip landed on a substantial lower limb and snapped it off.  That limb was going over some by lines.  Gave them quite a twang but luckily didn’t break them.  They were the thick main lines so that wouldn’t have been a cheap fix 

• Like 1

Dead poplar,very brittle,shitting a brick the whole time.Taking the top was a bitch cause it had a lean and the saw wouldnt start..?

Top went over and as it fell hung on slightly at ine side and the butt end caught my right knee,which made gaff out.Looking back i think i rushed the back cut and created that situation.

Lesson learnt-dont rush even if your shitting yourself

Choggin down the stem seemed to last forever but it went with no incident thankfully!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s dead and there’s dead.

How long dead? What species? Maiden or a topped tree?

Here is a one year dead HC I did this week, no issues at all, rigging or climbing.

Just use common sense, if it feels like breadstick, best not to trust your life on it.

4D9ED1B9-3BC5-4492-B95E-B386F8BD0631.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andymacp said:

Must do a dead Elm every week. Really solid an enjoyable to climb.

Just horrible to chip always spitting bits back at you. Good practice for all the ashes to come

• Like 2

What's wrong with putting second line in around the trunk as often as poss?

Also, that spruce... no way of firing a wighted bull rope or something through the top of it and just pulling it down without the climb?

Don't shoot me, I know nothing. Just asking?

Ta

Yea could have used a throw line and pulled a rope up with that but it was quicker to spike up 20 feet . The spruce was only dead one year it was solid. Could have climbed to the top, like mick said it depends how dead! I have climbed some bum twitchers before and weirdly I quite enjoy the extra unpredictability of dead trees
  • Like 1