Wire rope winch on steep slopes

21 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Aye ur almost correct above, althou in i'd describe that as a single sheave and in practice probably need longer than 40m, but u have the right idea. For a double sheave u'll be 4:1 so need 80m+

Every time u put an extra 'thing' in (not sure the correct term) u half the load but double the distance u have to travel.

Because ur pullng it all by hand and fairly small bits of timber u might even get away with something quite cheap and cheerful like 8mm polyprop (u bog standard blue rope)

However u decide to pull the rope, (stand at bottom hand over hand Or at top vai a redirect so just walk in a straight line) it would be really handy to have a 2nd person there purely for either attaching/unattaching the rope.

Or else u'll be up and down that hill like a yo yo. be more tiring than pulling the logs up.

Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, Peter Simpson said:

Yes I've seen that one. Impressive but laborious!

Not much worse than a tirfor and you can change the gain with the log diameter. This is very handy for take downs in early thinnings when they are too big to pick up the butt and run

In principle you can do the same with metal poles joined into an L shape

2 hours ago, Peter Simpson said:

How about a Masadam endless rope puller from the U.S.? Anybody use these? I think Treekit sells them here.

That's a Maasdan 1500 lb puller at 10-1 mechanical advantage and takes any length of rope unlike the cable pullers here which go into a reel this feeds the rope in and out.

• 2 months later...
Further to earlier discussion pleased to announce that I have had much success with the Maasdam Rope Puller which I imported from the USA. Light, easy to use, strong, 3/4 ton pulling power and 10/1 mechanical advantage.
IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.6ebae925564e4f71a39a12c7b7fd1978.JPG
IMG_1460.thumb.JPG.e46582d3f842613a7d71080ebfb479a1.JPG
IMG_1476.thumb.JPG.ec1c51185a2ea6dfa485aedce9faf7fc.JPG
IMG_1477.thumb.JPG.bb01357c4273eae508e27475e7715e83.JPG
Where you import from and how much. Looks the tits

1 hour ago, billpierce said:
4 hours ago, Peter Simpson said:
Further to earlier discussion pleased to announce that I have had much success with the Maasdam Rope Puller which I imported from the USA. Light, easy to use, strong, 3/4 ton pulling power and 10/1 mechanical advantage.
IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.6ebae925564e4f71a39a12c7b7fd1978.JPG
IMG_1460.thumb.JPG.e46582d3f842613a7d71080ebfb479a1.JPG
IMG_1476.thumb.JPG.ec1c51185a2ea6dfa485aedce9faf7fc.JPG
IMG_1477.thumb.JPG.bb01357c4273eae508e27475e7715e83.JPG

Read more  

Where you import from and how much. Looks the tits

Was thinking the exact same!!

Also be intrested in wot size of rope it can handle and can it handel more normal 'bull' rope rather than the stuff in the photo.

Bet u must have arms like popeye thou first winching it up the banking and then cross cut/ringing it woth a bushman.

Bugger that, i think any enjoyment/novelty factor would be lost after the 1st piece and the petrol engines would be coming out.

2 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Was thinking the exact same!!

Also be intrested in wot size of rope it can handle and can it handel more normal 'bull' rope rather than the stuff in the photo.

Bet u must have arms like popeye thou first winching it up the banking and then cross cut/ringing it woth a bushman.

Bugger that, i think any enjoyment/novelty factor would be lost after the 1st piece and the petrol engines would be coming out.

No just determined and I have the time and the inclination. And I like the peace and tranquility and am

not handy with machines.

• Like 1